AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Zoo Atlanta's Bird Department plays an integral role in the zoo's mission, by raising awareness of conservation issues and providing engaging, educational and entertaining experiences as we strive to inspire people to environmental action.
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The bird department encompasses a large variety of bird species. Interns will have the opportunity to work alongside bird keepers in the day-to-day care of these species as well as interacting with guests. Bird interns will learn about bird husbandry, behavior, dietary requirements, operant conditioning training, enrichment, animal restraint, and species management. Interns will also have the potential, depending on the season, to learn about incubation and hand-rearing techniques of certain species.
• Provide support to the Bird Department staff by enhancing productivity and efficiency.
• Helping maintain clean indoor and outdoor habitat for the bird collection.
• Diet preparation.
• Interns must be comfortable answering questions from the public
• Assist in administering enrichment.
•Embody the mission and values of Zoo Atlanta at all times.
• Allow qualified individuals the opportunity to gain professional hands-on experience at a world-class zoological facility.
• Promote interest in animal keeping, training, education, and other zoo directed careers
• Enhance productivity and efficiency of the bird department and its objectives.
• Learn the roles and responsibilities of the Bird Department keepers.
• Understand the basic health and welfare needs of the animals in the collection.
• Must be 18 years of age or older. Upper classmen and recent college graduates are preferred.
• Summer Term: Must be able to work 32-40 hours/week
• Spring & Fall Term: Must be able to work 16-24 hours/week
• Must be able to work approximately 8 hours per day on assigned days.
• Must provide proof of negative TB test and be willing to submit to a background check
• Must be able to work quietly, efficiently and safely around live animals.
o This includes the ability to follow specific protocols and guidelines that are in place to ensure your safety and that of the animals.
• Must abide by all rules and regulations set forth in the internship handbook and the bird department.
• Willingness to work closely with bird keepers and perform tasks requested of them to enhance the productivity of the department.
• Willingness to participate in an intern project that will be determined after the start of the internship.
• Ability to interact with the public on a daily basis and to have the ability to answer questions by zoo guests.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to be on your feet for up to 4 hours at a time and lift up to 30 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees and interns to work some weekends, holidays, and evenings.
Complete Online Application then Email Cover letter, resume, and 2 letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org. The internship you are applying for needs to be in the subject line of the email.
• Cover letter must include:
1. Term for which you are applying
2. Why you are applying for this internship
3. What makes you a good candidate for this internship
4. If you are applying to multiple departments for internships at Zoo Atlanta. If so, please indict your top choice.
• 2 letters of recommendation may be submitted by the applicant or the reference; however, the applicant’s name should appear in the subject line of the email.
• Submit all required documents as one PDF. (Letters of reference being sent directly from the reference are the only exception)
• Complete applications must be submitted by 4:00 P.M. on the day of the application deadline.
• You will need to contact your college/university advisor to determine if our program qualifies for credit at your institution
• We make every effort to support additional projects your advisor requires in order to receive credit and are happy to discuss modifications of our program with your advisor
• Any paperwork, including project terms, evaluations, minimum hours, or any other requirements must be submitted upon acceptance into the program, no later than 2 weeks prior to the term start date.
• No preferential treatment will be granted to interns earning credit over interns not earning credit.
All submitted applications will be reviewed by the Manager of Volunteer Programs. Complete applications from applicants who have followed all directions will be sent onto internship departments for review and potential phone interviews. Applicants who do not follow directions will not be considered for internships.
Zoo Atlanta800 Cherokee Ave SEAtlanta , GA 30315
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.