AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Brevard Zoo
Located along the Space Coast in Melbourne, Florida, the Brevard Zoo is an AZA-accredited facility with a diverse collection of over 900 animals representing nearly 200 species. It is also home to the Sea Turtle Healing Center (STHC) for rehabilitation of wild marine turtles. Brevard Zoo is well-known for its strong conservation ethic and unique attractions, such as kayaking through the Africa area, giraffe feeding and various animal encounters. This position is responsible for completing the daily care of Zoo animals and the maintenance of Zoo habitats and enclosures located in the Africa section of the Zoo. This person must be able to work as an integral part of the Zoo team and communicate effectively with coworkers, management, guests, and employees.
This position consists of daily keeper work and is expected to perform skilled assignments related to the care and feeding of a variety of animals found in Africa including giraffe, white rhinos, tortoises, impala, oryx, bongo, watusi, lemurs, zebra, meerkats, and various birds. This person must be knowledgeable and comfortable working with all species in this area. They must also be willing to work with and under the guidance of the Animal Behavior and Wellness Coordinator to ensure Brevard Zoo’s standards of animal wellness are always being maintained. A high standard of care for all animals to include advanced training techniques, species specific enrichment, and husbandry is required.
Four-year college degree in a related field preferred.
• At least two years of full-time experience in the care of animals at an AZA-accredited institution.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
• Strong work ethic.
• Demonstrated dedication to the zoo industry, onsite and offsite.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
• Speaks intelligently and diplomatically with coworkers, colleagues, and the public.
• Initiates and writes accurate reports.
• Effectively communicates both orally and in writing.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work as an effective team member.
• Computer competency and proficiency with ZIMS, Microsoft Office and Adobe programs.
• Ability to work in inclement weather.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including holidays, weekends, evenings and during emergency situations.
• Interest, knowledge, and experience working with large African hoof stock and carnivores.
• Ability to follow all Zoo standard operation procedures.
Brevard Zoo offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid sick/vacation time, local tourist attraction discounts and Zoo membership. Also includes health, dental and vision insurance as well as a retirement plan.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brevard Zoo8225 N Wickham RdMelbourne, FL 32940Phone: 321-254-9453
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.