AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The responsibility of this position is to maintain and care for elephants and other assigned species; to assist veterinary staff as needed; and to perform a variety of activities relative to the assigned area of responsibility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Feed and water animals in and around existing quarters; clean, sanitize, maintain and repair animal quarters as required; shovel, rake, hose, sweep, dust and mop floors
• Prepare diets for animals; clean and maintain work area and food storage containers
• Maintain adequate records on daily activities; observe animal behavior for signs of illness, weight loss/gain or injury; report any signs of illness or injury
• Assist veterinarians in minor operations or related activity, administer prescribed medications, submit fecal samples and other duties as needed
• Assist in the training of assigned animals; guide animals through daily routines according to established training schedules and guidelines
• Carry out animal diet directives from Nutritional Services Dept; clean and maintain food storage containers
• Participate in the zoo-wide behavioral management program by implementing approved animal training and enrichment projects
• Participate in and implement approved research projects
• Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner; Present keeper talks to park visitors and media as required
• Assist in directing the proper restraint, crating, moving and uncrating of animals
• Properly maintain exhibits, animal facilities, equipment and life support systems (as apply) as trained for specific positions
• Understand and implement operant conditioning as it relates to the daily management of species under his/her care.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must have one year of zoo keeping experience, elephant zoo keeping experience preferred
• Valid driver license with acceptable motor vehicle record to maintain zoo standards of insurability
• Proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) screening within previous six months prior to placement and annually thereafter
Must possess ability to:
• Work independently in the absence of immediate supervision
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities
Education and/or Experience:
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Bachelors degree in wildlife management, zoology, animal behavior, biology, ecology, psychology or related field preferred
• Specialized training in zoology or a related field desirable but not required
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or or move up to 75 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Team oriented environment
• Ability to work irregular hours (holidays and weekends)
• Exposure to a variety of domestic and wild or potentially dangerous animals; animal odors and animal body fluids
• Exposure to all types of inclement weather conditions
• Exposure to chemicals (cleaning, water chemicals, additives, etc.)
• Ability to work special events and functions as required
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as a complete inventory of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an at-will basis.
This is a full-time position and offers the following benefits:
• Medical and Prescription Drug (Employee Coverage 90% Employer Paid, Dependent Coverage 55% Employer Paid)
• Basic Life AD&D (1 x Annual Salary up to $150,000 – 100% Employer Paid)
• Short Term Disability (100% Employer Paid)
• Long Term Disability (100% Employer Paid)
• Supplemental Life
• Flexible Spending Account
• Paid Time Off (Accrual Equivalent to 5 Weeks Per Year)
• PTO Rollover
• PTO Sell Back
• Free Zoo Membership
• Free Guest Passes
• Discounts on Food, Merchandise, Attractions, Admission and Program
Apply online at fortworthzoo.org/careers
Fort Worth Zoo1989 Colonial Parkway Fort Worth , TX 76110
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.