AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Conservation Society of California/Oakland Zoo (CSC/OZ) has an opening for a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) in their state-of-the-art, 17,000 square foot veterinary hospital. This full-time RVT position at the Oakland Zoo Veterinary Hospital (OZVH) is a multi-faceted job that provides advanced medical care for animals in our zoo collection as well as animals from our conservation and wildlife partners. Additional responsibilities include communication within, and to, other departments in the zoo, maintenance of hospital equipment and supplies, capture and restraint of zoo animals, participation in local conservation programs, and other functions. The RVT assists the veterinary staff with clinical and surgical procedures and provides technical support and nursing care for the collection. This position reports to the Senior Veterinary Technician.
The RVT performs all job assignments with a positive attitude and work ethic that reflects the CSC/OZ’s mission to inspire respect and stewardship of the natural world and the OZVH’s mission to provide outstanding veterinary care. Behavior is supportive of our institution’s mindful culture, always working to maximize stress resiliency, quality of life and productivity.
1. Possess a California (CA) RVT license or ability to obtain CA license within 6 months of hire.
2. Minimum of two years of experience as a licensed veterinary technician; additional experience with zoo animals is preferred.
3. Good physical condition; able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. and move a maximum of 120 lbs.
4. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
5. Willingness to work outside normal business hours, including weekends and holidays.
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7. Knowledge of the habits and hazards of working with non-domestic animals; willingness to work with some physical risk while observing proper safety precautions.
8. Willingness to follow hospital protocols.
9. Possess advanced skills to perform all aspects of the RVT job in a zoological setting.
10. Physical ability to perform typical RVT and zoo husbandry tasks.
11. Demonstrate knowledge of, and support for, the Conservation Society of California’s mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of behavior.
12. Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Experience and Qualities Preferred:
1. Two years (or more) of full-time, advanced experience with zoo and wildlife species as a veterinary technician, including mammals (including large animals), birds, and reptiles. Exotic animal handling, husbandry, and medical techniques are all valued types of experience.
2. Excellent team building and leadership skills.
3. Experience with capture and restraint techniques of many species.
4. Advanced organizational skills, darting experience, advanced communication and computer skills.
Benefits are offered with this full-time position including medical, dental, life insurance, 403(b), and more.
To Be Determined/Commensurate with Experience
Submit resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to:
Senior Veterinary Technician
Resumes will be accepted through 15 April 2021.
Oakland ZooPO BOX 5238 9777 Golf Links RdOakland, CA 94605Phone: (510) 632-9525
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.