AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The National Aviary’s Program Specialist is part of a dynamic and energetic Education Department performing all job assignments with a positive attitude that reflects the National Aviary’s mission to inspire a respect for nature through an appreciation of birds. The Program Specialist develops formal, informal, and interpretive education programs and materials, coordinates and facilitates education programs and interpretation, actively participates in bird handling, and supports the volunteer manager to recruit, train and interface with National Aviary volunteers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Undergraduate degree in Zoological Sciences, Environmental Education, or similar field required.
• 3-5 years relevant professional experience in an education department in a zoo, nature center, or other informal learning center.
• 1-2 years experience training and managing adult, teen, corporate, and/or intern volunteers a plus.
• Previous experience working with live animals in an educational setting preferred; experience with operant conditioning a plus.
• Satisfactory Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse History Certification
• Satisfactory FBI Criminal Record Check
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to pass Department of Motor Vehicles check
While performing the duties of this job, the employee constantly positions self to prepare classrooms, including setting up technology, tables, chairs, and signage, including under and around obstacles. The employee regularly transports crates and supplies up to 50 pounds. The employee regularly uses utensils and tools including knives, scissors, hoses, and falconry equipment.
Work environments will include climate-controlled office spaces, public areas where the noise level may be loud, and outdoors where work may need to be done in inclement weather conditions, including extremes of temperature and precipitation. The employee is regularly exposed to various disinfecting agents and common allergens such as latex, nuts, and seafood.
POSITION TYPE/ EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
This is a full-time position. The candidate must be able to work on weekdays, weekends, and holidays and occasionally in the evening as job duties demand.
e-mail cover letters and resumes to Jenn Torpie at Jennifer.Torpie@aviary.org
National Aviary700 Arch StPittsburgh, PA 15212Phone: 412-323-7235
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.