AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, Conservation Partners and Society Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Aquarists are responsible for managing all aspects of their assigned area. This includes husbandry of, and administering medications to, fishes, invertebrates, and reptiles as assigned. In addition, duties include feeding, water quality analysis, life support system (LSS) maintenance, and general housekeeping. Other duties and special projects will be undertaken by the aquarist as assigned. The Aquarist should serve as a role model to other employees, interns, volunteers, and aquarium guests and should exhibit responsibility and leadership qualities.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide a diverse and species-appropriate diet to animals in their care. Maintain high standards of cleanliness and seafood safety in food preparation areas.
• Each day conduct a thorough walkthrough to ensure functionality of all LSS in assigned section immediately upon arrival and before leaving at the end of the day.
• Observe animals daily and report any abnormal behavior/appearance to supervisor immediately.
• Maintain adequate animal records by recording every animal move, acquisition, disposition, and every significant behavioral or health observation on daily reports.
• Maintain all of the LSS for their assigned section including pumps, UV sterilizers, protein skimmers, sand filters, et cetera. Immediately report any needed repairs to supervisor.
• Conduct regular water quality analysis on assigned tanks, record all data collected on appropriate datasheets and electronic records, report any abnormal water chemistry parameters to supervisor immediately.
• Mentor newer staff and volunteers and serve as a role model in their professional development. Display responsible behavior and exhibit leadership at all times.
• Participate in conservation and research projects as time and resources permit.
• Maintain aesthetics in exhibits by keeping viewing panels free of visible algae at all times. Clean tank walls, décor, rockwork, and substrate as needed to maintain high aesthetic standards. Conduct water changes and siphon substrate in all tanks at least weekly.
• General housekeeping in back-of-house areas; all work areas should be clean and organized.
• Complete special projects, both major and minor, as assigned by supervisor.
• Develop and deliver fun and informative interpretive programs that will build visitor appreciation for our aquatic environment and the aquatic animals of the world.
• Deliver interpretive presentations as needed to support the aquarium’s educational programs.
• Provide on-site support of the aquarium adult and youth volunteer programs in partnership with the Dallas Zoo Volunteer Coordinators and Youth Volunteer Coordinators.
• Other duties as assigned.
<a href="https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=oYuBefw1&s=AZA">Click here to apply</a>
Dallas Zoo Management, Inc.650 S. R.L. Thornton FrwyDallas, TX 75203Phone: 4695547521
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.