AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
This part time position at the SEA LIFE Aquarium at LEGOLAND California Resort assists the Displays Team with the routine husbandry and maintenance required for its marine, freshwater and deep sea adventure displays. It is required to be SCUBA certified and capable of delivering a high standard of work performance in the areas of exhibit husbandry and diving under the direction of the Senior Aquarist and Curator.
Scope and Responsibilities:
1. Assist the Displays staff with the animal care, cleaning and maintenance of aquarium displays requiring SCUBA diving in both large (300,000 gallon) and smaller exhibits via surface supplied air.
2. Assist the Displays staff with diet preparation, feeding, and general husbandry of aquarium exhibits as directed.
3. Maintain and prepare accurate daily records for aquarium systems, exhibit specimens, and dive related paperwork.
4. Maintain company issued dive gear and diver areas to the standards and expectations of SEA LIFE policies and protocols.
5. Deliver interactive programming to guests and guest presentations involving displays and exhibit diving.
6. Understand the importance of AZA and have the ability to follow high animal care standards as directed.
Background and Experience:
Paid experience working with aquarium systems and aquatic animal husbandry is preferred. Unpaid or internship experience is taken into consideration. General knowledge of life support, food preparation, laboratory, and experience with fish, invertebrates, and reptiles is also preferred.
Valid Rescue SCUBA certification (within two months of hire required) and extensive dive experience required (1 to 3 years preferred with greater than 25 dives logged). Candidates that hold a current First Aid/AED/CPR and Oxygen certification are preferred.
A High School diploma or general education degree is required. Candidates possessing a Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a related field at an accredited academic facility is preferred. Candidates attending a university for a related field will be considered depending on experience level.
Must hold a valid SCUBA certification (rescue required within 2 months of hire) card for open water diving or above from a recognized recreational or commercial diver training agency.
Ability to maintain a clean/organized work environment.
Ability to work effectively with limited or no supervision and maintain a work ethic supporting the aquarium’s mission and goals.
Ability to obtain and hold a current First Aid/CPR/AED/O2 certification.
Ability to obtain and hold valid California Driver’s License.
Ability to work weekends and keep flexible hours.
Other projects as assigned depending on the candidates experience level.
At least one year paid or unpaid experience
SEA LIFE aquarium at LEGOLAND California Resort1 LEGOLAND DrCarlsbad, CA 92008
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.