AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Sea Otter Program is seeking enthusiastic and motivated individuals to assist staff with the care and release of live-stranded sea otters.
Project responsibilities include, but are not limited to, daily care and feeding of ill, injured and orphaned sea otters, maintenance and cleaning of animal tanks and enclosures, computer data entry. Interns may also assist with rescues of live-stranded otters, tracking of released otters, administration of medication to sick otters, and managing otters in research projects. Qualified applicants must be able to work in a team environment as well as independently without direct supervision, and must have good communication skills.
• Animal handling experience in a professional environment (must include experience with mammals)
• At least 18 years of age
• Must be a current student at an accredited college or university, or graduated during the term immediately preceding the internship
• Must submit a resume of courses and/or experience related to position applying for
• Must provide a minimum of 2 letters of recommendation
• 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA
• Six month commitment of 24 hours each week
• Proof of current tetanus vaccination
• Valid driver’s license
• Project task assignments may include weekends and holidays as assigned
• A project-based report will be required at the end of the internship
• Strong Interest in and awareness of animal husbandry and marine science/ecology
• Experience handling non-domesticated and/or potentially aggressive animals
• Willingness to get wet and dirty
• Attention to detail
• Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to multi-task
• Research, writing, academic literature and organizational skills
• Interpersonal skills and proven ability to work effectively with colleagues
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
• Proficiency with SharePoint a plus
Monterey Bay Aquarium886 Cannery RowMonterey, CA 93940Phone: 831-648-4800
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.