AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Palm Beach Zoo & Conservation Society is currently seeking a full-time Zoologist to provide world-class animal care to a wide variety of species, with a focus on our avian (psittacines, waterfowl, birds of prey) collection. We are in the process of re-imagining of our beautiful tropical Zoo, and are looking to bring in new expertise and enthusiasm. The Zoo staff work in a positive, team-oriented environment to support our mission to inspire people to act on behalf of wildlife. Zoologists promote increased environmental awareness and conservation through excellent animal care and management practices, coupled with positive visitor experiences.
The ideal candidate will have a strong animal care background with deep experience in operant conditioning, habitat design criteria, animal nutrition and animal social interactions, including introductions and breeding (incubation and hand-rearing a plus). They will also have experience engaging visitors with formal and informal animal encounters where they share their passion for animal wellness and preservation of wild places. Finally, they will demonstrate a solid track record of workplace competency performance, including communication, teamwork, efficiency, emotional intelligence, leadership, planning, change management and administration.
• Minimum of 2 years’ paid experience in a zoological facility (keeper-level DOE)
• Bachelor’s degree (Biology, Psychology or a related field) is preferred
• Experience with the husbandry and behavior of a variety of birds, mammals and reptiles, with an emphasis on avians
• Physically able to stoop, bend, reach, lift, carry or push at least 50 pounds in a south Florida climate
• Must have valid driver’s license, able to work weekends, holidays and special events as needed
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Demonstrated ability to research and write effectively
• Participation in AZA programs and other zoo related organizations
• Use hand and power tools for minor carpentry and habitat modification projects
• Demonstrated initiative and problem solving
• Competence in behavior analysis and animal training
• Excellent communication skills with co-workers, managers and veterinary staff
• Be familiar with AZA, USDA and FWC regulations and expectations
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Mike Terrell, Curator of Wildlife Programs and Wellness, via email: email@example.com. Please include the name of the applicant and the title “Zoologist” in the subject line of the email. The position will be open until filled.
Palm Beach Zoo & Conservation Society1301 Summit Blvd.West Palm Beach, FL 33405Phone: 561-547-9453
Visit our website
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.