AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore
APPLICATION DEADLINE: TBD
The Veterinary Research Extern will provide clinical and research support for The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore’s Veterinary Hospital. The Veterinary Research Extern will be responsible for performing research project(s) that focus on topics relevant to the Zoo’s collection animals and/ or conservation initiatives. Based on the clinical research, the Research Extern will develop formal manuscript(s) for journal publication. Primary authorship with submission of the manuscript to a peer-reviewed journal will be encouraged, but is not guaranteed. In addition, the Veterinary Research Extern will have the opportunity to shadow veterinary staff and participate in daily rounds and procedures. The Research Extern may assist veterinary technicians and hospital keepers with laboratory operation and animal care.
This position is specifically designed for 1st and 2nd year vet students, as well as, upperclassmen undergraduates.
2019 Research Project: TBD
Duration of Externship:
May or June 1, 2019 - July or August 30, 2019.
Duration is limited to three months. Candidate must commit to a minimum of 9 weeks.
**start and end dates are flexible, based on the selected candidate’s availability**
Schedule: Approximately 30 - 40 hours per week
Qualified candidates must be officially associated with a university as an undergraduate, graduate, or veterinary student. For example, undergraduates who are currently enrolled in college meet this criterion, as do graduating seniors, who are continuing with their education in the fall semester of the same year. Eligible students, interested in pursuing careers related to biology, animal sciences, or veterinary medicine are encouraged to apply.
Communication (Internal and External):
Management of Resources (financial, human resources, facilities):
• Enrollment in undergraduate, graduate, or veterinary schools with a focus in biology, animal sciences, or veterinary medicine
• College level coursework or experience in scientific research preferred
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
• Scientific Writing
• Literature Review
• Ability to work with a wide variety of individuals from ethnic, cultural and economic backgrounds;
• Extremely well-organized;
• Strong communication, time management, interpersonal and follow-up skills;
• Ability to visualize, comprehend and analyze data; and,
• Self-directed, collaborative and detail-oriented.
• Must be able to operate a variety of machines and equipment including computer, telephone, hand tools, animal restraint and capture devices, , etc.; and,
• Various medical machines, tools, and equipment.
• Must be able to exert up to 70 pounds of force occasionally, 50 pounds frequently and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work; must be able to remain on feet for periods of time, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, push, pull, climb, balance;
• Must be able to travel large areas of the Zoo as needed;
• Must be able to work in an outdoor weather environment in all seasons and weather, including heat/humidity, cold temperatures, and/or wet conditions;
• Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends, holidays, and special events;
• Must be able to work while wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment;
• Contact with hazardous chemicals, animal related injury and anesthesia equipment; and,
• Exposure to zoonotic diseases and risk of animal attack.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified. Therefore, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Please apply at https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2329718
The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore1876 Mansion House Drive BaltimoreBaltimore, MD 21217Phone: 4435520890Fax: The Maryland Zoo in Balti
Visit our website
@The Maryland Zoo in
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.