AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
A conservation resource providing experiences that excite and inspire children and adults to learn and act on behalf of wildlife.
This position reports to the Senior Reptile & Amphibian Specialist, and in the Senior’s absence reports to the Curator or Director of Animal Care. This position will provide husbandry and maintenance for animals in the Reptile & Amphibian section, including but not limited to crocodilians, Crocodile monitors, Blue iguanas, venomous snakes and heloderms, and various species of frogs and turtles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The employee in this position must be able to perform all the essential job duties listed below; however, this list not intended to cover all specific tasks of which an employee in this position may be expected to perform.
· Be a Zoo Ambassador always, maintaining the highest ethical expectations.
· Responsible for the husbandry and well-being of all specimens in this department, including diet preparation and presentation, enclosure maintenance, and some construction to maintain exhibits in a sound and aesthetic fashion.
· Capable of perceiving changes in an animal’s behavior that may indicate signs of illness. Be able to provide and administer medical care under the direction of the Veterinarian, Curator, Director, and/or CEO. Assist in the capture, restraint and presentation of animals for veterinary review and able to accurately evaluate animal’s response to suggested therapy.
· Develop a work routine that emphasizes safety with the ability to see potential dangers to the animals, staff and public. Safety is always required as is a system of double checking all locks, doors, latches and shift slides.
· Public speaking and participation in education and media programs is required. Must be able to represent the Zoo in a courteous and professional manner.
· Document and maintain accurate animal records in an organized fashion as determined by the Registrar.
· Be in sound health and capable of safely performing strenuous physical labor and lifting.
· May be required to assist with projects or daily duties in other animal areas. Experience with mammals and birds is a plus.
· Adheres to all Central Florida Zoo Policies and Procedures.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum age of 18 years old.
· A college degree in biological science and one to three years’ experience with reptiles in a zoological environment is preferred. Experience with other taxa is a plus.
· Must provide a negative TB test and negative drug screen result.
· Must be able to work as part of a team.
· Must have the ability to work flexible hours, including weekdays, weekends, holidays and evenings.
· Must be able to work effectively in the extreme Florida environment and lift/move up to 50 pounds.
· Minimum 18 years old.
· Must be self-motivated and goal-oriented
· Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
· Ability to present feeding demonstrations that emphasize normal feeding strategies in the wild and respond to guest’s questions on natural history.
· Knowledge of operant training techniques.
· Must be able to maintain effective working relationships with other Zoo employees and the public.
· Will work a 40-hour workweek on an established schedule. (All hours are subject to change).
The duties listed above are intended only as an illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
· This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent. A college degree in biological science is preferred. Experience in a zoological environment is essential. Experience with venomous snakes is essential. A one to three (1-3) experience with reptiles.
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
· Valid Florida driver’s license.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following have been identified as physical requirements of the job:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A large percentage of duties are performed outdoors in various weather conditions, ranging from rain, wind, cool to cold weather, and extreme heat and humidity. It is possible the employee will be exposed to dust and harsh chemicals that if not handled properly may present a health hazard. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Exposure to infectious diseases from daily contact with exotic and domestic animals including; bacterial fungal, parasitic and viral pathogens. Job functions performed around a variety of animal species with potential for physical harm from bites, kicks, heavy lifting, or surgical instruments.
The Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This job description pertains to an “at will” position with the Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens and in no way constitutes a written or implied contract of employment.
The Central Florida Zoological Society is an equal opportunity employer and makes decisions related to compensation and all terms, conditions or privileges of employment on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, sex (including pregnancy), gender orientation, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic, military status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. All such discrimination is unlawful and prohibited by the CFZS.
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent. A college degree in biological science is preferred. Experience in a zoological environment is essential. Experience with venomous snakes is essential. One to three (1-3) years experience with reptiles.
After 90 days: Zoo annual pass, Florida attractionShare, health insurance. After one year: 403(b) retirement match.
Please send resume and cover letter to Animal Care Director Elena Lamar at email@example.com by Monday, 25 February 2019.
Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens3755 W Seminole BlvdSanford , FL 32771 Phone: 407-323-4450 Fax: 407-321-0900
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.