AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Create meaningful connections and inspire actions that will have a lasting impact on conservation.
The Mammal Department at Riverbanks Zoo and Garden is proud to offer an internship experience for qualified students. The purpose of an internship in our Mammal Department is to gain an in-depth knowledge and understanding of Riverbank’s mission and how it is achieved through various functions and operations throughout the zoo and garden.
Internship includes working with a variety of mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.
• Mammals (Virginia opossums, rabbits, hedgehogs, tenrec, etc.)
• Reptiles (snakes, skinks, turtles, tortoises, lizards, etc.)
• Amphibians (frogs, toads, salamanders, etc.)
• Invertebrates (tarantulas, millipedes, etc.)
The categories of study during the internship include:
• Assist with daily maintenance of animal enclosures.
• Learn about animal nutrition- prepare and distribute diets.
• Learn about AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums), Studbooks, SSPs (Species Survival Programs), TAGs (Taxon Advisory Groups), and other aspects of zoo management.
• Design and implement environmental enrichment techniques.
• Assist animal keepers and veterinarians during medical procedures.
• Attend department meetings.
• Learn appropriate handling and transport of collection, ensuring that all animals receive top quality animal care.
• Observe operant conditioning techniques for all animals.
• Interact directly with guests during informal and formal programs, providing engaging and accurate educational information.
While interning with the Mammal Department you will observe and participate in the overall operation of the zoological facility. You will gain exposure to other departments that support the individual function and goals of the Mammal Department. During your internship at Riverbanks you will be exposed to a variety of management styles and approaches.
This is a full time unpaid internship open to undergraduates seeking degrees in biology or related fields. Interns are required to work 40 hours/week in five 8 hour days. Applicants must be able to work any day of the week, including weekends and holidays.
Please apply by March 1, 2019 — Unpaid Internship — No housing available.
Please submit your application via the Riverbanks Zoo and Garden website: http://www.riverbanks.org/join-our-team/
Riverbanks Zoo & Garden500 Wildlife ParkwayColumbia, SC 29210
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.