AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums, Certified Related Facilities, Commercial Members, and Conservation Partners may post free unlimited online job listings as a member benefit. Non-members can purchase job listings. How to post a job
Interested in a career in AZA-accredited zoos and aquariums? Learn more about types of zoo and aquarium jobs and relevant education programs in our career center.
Job Title: Education Counselor (Summer Camp Counselor)
Reports To: Conservation Education Coordinator
FLSA Status: Exempt, Seasonal
The primary functions of this job include, but are not limited to: deliver education programs; ensure the safety and well-being of students under care; administer medications as directed; transport students within and/or outside White Oak; and monitor residential experiences throughout the night. The positions are for male and female camp counselors who will reside in the campers’ cabin.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
Group supervision of students with attention to all of the following: program, health, happiness, discipline, cleanliness, safety, routine duties, character and skill development.
Help plan and deliver education projects and activities.
Assume accountability for the health and welfare of campers.
Understand, follow, interpret, and enforce all camp rules, policies and procedures.
Exhibit personal habits, health, dress, speech, and relationships with other staff that serve as a beneficial model to students.
Live on-site during the camp season and supervise resident experiences, requiring overnight stays at White Oak.
Work with the Conservation Education Coordinator to find solutions to problems with facilities, programs and campers.
Help develop, carry out and evaluate education programs that reflect the goals of White Oak.
Ensure the safety and well-being of students under care.
Transport students within and/or outside White Oak as needed for education programs.
• At least 19 years of age.
• Minimum of one year of college required with a focus in life sciences and/or education.
• Experience working with children, preferably in a camp setting.
• Experience in informal or formal lesson development and facilitation.
• Coursework / experience in science, nature studies, or outdoor education.
• Strong verbal communication skills and is capable of speaking to large groups of children and adults.
• Flexible approach to daily responsibilities, possess a positive approach to a team environment.
• Must be creative, flexible, and organized.
• Ability to value and respect the opinions and beliefs of others.
• Passion for White Oak’s mission and for working with children.
• Ability to work weekends, holidays, and nights.
• CPR, First Aid, and AED adult and pediatric certification.
• Current Life Guard certification or a willingness to attain certification.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Candidates must submit and pass a Level II background check and submit an affidavit of good moral character.
Physical Aspects of the Job:
Candidates must be able to lift 50 lbs. without difficulty, work in adverse weather conditions, and remain on their feet for long periods of time.
Counselors will be expected to work from mid-May until mid-August. There will be at least one week of training prior to the beginning of camp. Applicants will be considered until the appropriate candidate has been identified, but applications should be submitted by February 1, 2019 for the strongest consideration. To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter (highlighting any prior camp experience) and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit these documents as a single file PDF with the file name: YOURLASTNAME_CampCounselor_2019.
White Oak Conservation581705 White Oak RdYulee, FL 32097Phone: 904-225-3200
Visit our website
Like us on Facebook
Please enter your contact information below. This is for communication purposes only and will not display on your listing.