The Western North Carolina Nature Center Conservation Leadership Scholarship is sponsored by the Western North Carolina Nature Center in Asheville, NC and managed by Zoo Conservation Outreach Group (ZCOG). The scholarship may be applied only toward the Managing for Success professional training courses.
The Western North Carolina Nature Center Conservation Leadership Scholarship provides supervisory and middle-management level professionals from Latin American zoological institutions an opportunity to attend AZA's Managing for Success professional training courses. This scholarship is a two-year award that allows the recipient to attend the Managing for Success: Career Development in year one and Managing for Success: Organizational Development in year two.
This scholarship is awarded every other year and will next be awarded in 2015. CLICK HERE to visit the ZCOG website and download the 2015 scholarship application from a link near the bottom of the page. Full submission information is included in the application. Only one scholarship application may be submitted per individual per year. Applications are evaluated and recipients are chosen by the AZA Professional Development Committee.
Please note: If you do not receive the award and plan to take the course anyway, the scholarship application does not represent a reserved space in an AZA course. To secure a space in a course you must submit a completed registration form, and pay the tuition in full. If you receive the award, your full tuition payment will be refunded.
Detailed Award Coverage:
ZCOG awards cover the following AZA training course related expenses:
- Course registration (full);
- Round-trip airfare from the award recipient’s point of origin to the destination city hosting the workshop (full);
- Round-trip airport shuttle ground transportation within the continental United States (full);
- Hotel/lodging throughout the duration of the course (based on double occupancy rate);
- Course registration: ZCOG will arrange payment of the award recipient’s course registration.
- Airfare: The award recipient shall forward a preferred travel itinerary, including
departure and return dates, to ZCOG. ZCOG will arrange the award recipient’s airfare. The group will not reimburse award recipients for airfares purchased without first consulting ZCOG. Travel will be limited to dates surrounding the course.
- Ground Transport: ZCOG will arrange payment of the award recipient’s ground transportation.
- Hotel/Lodging: ZCOG will cover hotel/lodging expenses for the award recipient via direct payment to the hotel. Lodging arrangements will be made by the AZA Professional Development Department.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are provided as part of the accommodations or courses. Dinners are mostly on your own.
- Travel VISA: ZCOG will, if necessary, draft a letter of support that the award recipient can use for their US Travel VISA interview.