The Naples Zoo Caribbean Conservation Training Scholarship is sponsored by the Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens in Naples, FL and managed by Zoo Conservation Outreach Group (ZCOG).
The Caribbean is home to some of the planet's most unique and endangered species, including AZA SSP program animals like the Cuban crocodile, Jamaican fruit bat, and Puerto Rican Crested toad. The Naples Zoo Caribbean Conservation Training Scholarship promotes the conservation of the region's diverse wildlife by providing capacity building and training opportunities to a segment of the conservation community that warrants increased attention and resources. This scholarship may be applied toward any of the Association of Zoos & Aquarium's professional training program courses. Preference will be given to applicants that can demonstrate involvement in regional wildlife or habitat conservation initiatives.
Citizens of any of the islands of the Greater and Lesser Antilles, as well as Belize, Suriname, Guyana, and French Guiana may apply.
CLICK HERE to visit the ZCOG website and download the 2014-2015 scholarship application from a link near the bottom of the page. Applications are due July 18, 2014. Full submission information is included in the application. Only one scholarship application may be submitted per individual per year. Applications are evaluated and recipients are chosen by the AZA Professional Development Committee.
Please note: If you do not receive the award and plan to take the course anyway, the scholarship application does not represent a reserved space in an AZA course. To secure a space in a course you must submit a completed registration form, and pay the tuition in full. If you receive the award, your full tuition payment will be refunded.
Detailed Award Coverage:
ZCOG awards cover the following AZA training course related expenses:
- Course registration (full);
- Round-trip airfare from the award recipient’s point of origin to the destination city hosting the workshop (full);
- Round-trip airport shuttle ground transportation within the continental United States (full);
- Hotel/lodging throughout the duration of the course (based on double occupancy rate);
- Course registration: ZCOG will arrange payment of the award recipient’s course registration.
- Airfare: The award recipient shall forward a preferred travel itinerary, including
departure and return dates, to ZCOG. ZCOG will arrange the award recipient’s airfare. The group will not reimburse award recipients for airfares purchased without first consulting ZCOG. Travel will be limited to dates surrounding the course.
- Ground Transport: ZCOG will arrange payment of the award recipient’s ground transportation.
- Hotel/Lodging: ZCOG will cover hotel/lodging expenses for the award recipient via direct payment to the hotel. Lodging arrangements will be made by the AZA Professional Development Department.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are provided as part of the accommodations or courses. Dinners are mostly on your own.
- Travel VISA: ZCOG will, if necessary, draft a letter of support that the award recipient can use for their US Travel VISA interview.
For additional details please contact the AZA Professional Development Department or call (301) 244-3351.