Organization: Denver Zoo
Location: Denver, CO, United States
Job or Internship: Job
At Denver Zoo, our mission is to secure a better world for animals through human understanding. We are a respected leader in animal care and exhibition, conservation programs, scientific study, environmental education and public service.
This position advances Denver Zoo’s mission and goals by assisting the animal care staff in providing the safe exhibition, handling, feeding, and husbandry of animal species at the Zoo.
Toyota Elephant Passage area intern will support keeper staff with the daily care and maintenance of the division collection. Daily activities entail observing and physically supporting all area work including: daytime planning, daily collection observations, attending area meetings, record keeping, diet preparation and administration including supplements/minerals/medications, behavioral enhancements (training and enrichment), and animal procedures and transports. Interns will only interact with division specified animals under the direct supervision of the keeper staff and managers. Other related care and maintenance will be supervised by keeper staff and managers. This internship begins in September 2014.
Assists Toyota Elephant Passage animal care staff by providing reliable, competent animal care through the following responsibilities:
• Cleaning/disinfecting of animal enclosures
• Diet preparation
• Enrichment distribution and maintenance
• Exhibit repair and/or modification
• Animal observation
• Record keeping
• Perform various tasks as assigned
• Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree (or recently graduated) in an animal-related or animal behavior-related field.
• Previous animal experience in a formal or informal setting is preferred.
• Work on weekends and holidays are required.
• Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Please apply through our website at www.denverzoo.org
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer