Organization: SEALIFEThe Role
Location: Auburn Hills, Detroit, MI, us
Job or Internship: Job
New for early 2015, SEALIFE are opening a new attraction in the heart of Auburn Hills, Detroit, SEALIFE Michigan, this will be the eighth addition to the USA and a cornerstone on Merlin Entertainments roll out of new sites across the USA, Asia, Europe and Australasia.
SEA LIFE is the world’s biggest aquarium operator with more than 40 attractions across the world. Every centre opens a window into the magical world beneath our seas and offers close encounters for all ages with everything from humble shrimps and starfish to seahorses, sharks and stingrays. SEA LIFE provides a fascinating insight into the wealth and diversity of marine life and plays an active role in conservation and inspires others to lend their support too.
The aquarium will comprise of approximately 25 exhibits and a diverse collection of marine and freshwater fish and aquatic invertebrates, and a 150,000 gallon ocean tank for fish, sharks and sea turtles. Reporting to the General Manager, you will be responsible for assisting in the development and timely opening, and the subsequent aquarium management and operations to achieve consistently high standards of display presentation and animal husbandry in accordance with all SEA LIFE policies, procedures and protocols. The Curator will recruit and lead the small on-site aquarist team, and assist them with the required routine maintenance and development of all aquarium displays, and with all husbandry related issues. Key duties will include:
• Management and oversight of all aspects of animal care and aquarium life support systems while ensuring a consistently high standard of animal care and displays presentation throughout all public and behind the scenes areas.
• Oversee daily care of animal exhibits including diet preparation, feeding and general care and maintenance of aquatic exhibits in accordance with established protocols.
• Ensure that correct levels of livestock and key species are maintained in all displays through the development and updating of the institutional collection plan.
• Participate in animal transports, water quality testing, quarantine, diagnosis and treatment of fish disease.
• Ensure the accurate maintenance of daily records for aquarium systems and exhibit specimens.
• Interact with guests, management, veterinarians and other individuals as required.
• Supervision of day-to-day activities of all aquarists and divers; directing exhibit maintenance, animal husbandry practices, setting aquarist work schedules, and assisting with department budget planning and spending.
• Involvement in the continual development and strategic planning of the displays areas in line with the long term goals of the company.
• Ensure that the welfare needs of the living collection are met, at the same time as achieving the business goals of the company.
Highly motivated with an Undergraduate Degree in Life Sciences required with a minimum four years of experience within aquatic animal care in a professional aquarium environment. Ideally with previous experience opening an aquarium and staff management in a leadership role. You must possess excellent communication, interpersonal, and organisational skills, as well as the energy and dedication to bring continued success to this key attraction. Advanced open water SCUBA certification, Dive Master is preferred. The Application
If you have what it takes to make a difference, please apply online at: https://suite.agile1.com/JBMerlin/Client/Skins/Merlin/default.aspx About Merlin Entertainments
Merlin Entertainments is a business built on fun. We're Europe's Number 1 and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator. We operate over 100 attractions, eight hotels and three holiday villages in 22 countries across four continents and we run some of the best known names in global leisure. These include the likes of SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, the Dungeons and LEGOLAND, as well as local icons such as The Eye, Gardaland Resort, Heide Park Resort and Alton Towers Resort, and the objective at each is to provide a truly memorable experience and a great day out for all the family. All of which helps to cement our reputation as one of the world’s leading leisure and entertainment companies.