Organization: Friends of the National Zoo
Location: Washington, DC, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Friends of the National Zoo (FONZ), a nonprofit member organization dedicated to supporting the education, research, animal care, visitor experience, and sustainability mission of the Smithsonian’s National Zoological Park is seeking a Staff Accountant to be responsible for the financial and fiduciary reporting of FONZ and assist in the budgeting and internal controls and process.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Ensures that all FONZ revenues and expenses are accounted for accurately and effectively. Assist in the internal controls necessary to safeguard FONZ assets and operations.
• Review and ensure that the organization’s policies and procedures are being followed.
• Assist in the general accounting and financial statement preparation, analysis, auditing, receivable management and cash management functions.
• Individually and through working with other staff ensure the necessary inter-departmental coordination is occurring to achieve optimum financial performance.
• Assists in the annual budget and quarterly forecasting processes to ensure timely and accurate completion in accordance with established schedules and deadlines.
• Prepare schedules and perform duties as needed for external audits (financial, pension) , annual tax returns and other fiduciary and legal filings.
• Assist in recommending, developing, and implementing financial systems for planning, financial reporting, proper internal controls and management information.
• Assist in the reconciliation of outsourced revenue providers (eg Sodexo) and other contractors. Manage the receivables and reporting from the providers and the related required reporting for management and third parties.
• Assist in developing financial reporting templates from FRx, Microsoft Excel and other reporting software.
• Assists in reviewing all properties and activities of the organization for proper and adequate insurance.
• Ensure that cash management functions & procedures are being followed and assist in reviewing technologies which would reduce risk and increase efficiencies.
• Performance of other duties and responsibilities not specifically reflected herein, as required from time to time.
• Responsible for account reconciliations of general ledger balance sheet accounts, daily/weekly/monthly accounting, and assisting Controller and Senior Accountant with additional accounting duties including the annual budget process.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and CPA certification preferred
• Four or more years of professional experience in organizations with transactional operations including retail and membership, preferably in an association or non-profit environment
• Two or more years of experience in public accounting
• Able to work independently and on multi-task
• Excellent oral and written communication
• Proficient in Great Plans Accounting, Frx, Excel, Word, Outlook
All interested applicants may apply at http://www.fonzjobs.com
As an equal opportunity employer, FONZ values workplace diversity.