Organization: Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Location: Tacoma, Washington, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium Sustainability Plan Project Intern
The mission of Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is to promote and practice effective conservation on behalf of the world’s wildlife. Making responsible choices and taking action to conserve natural resources are a way of life at the zoo. To support these efforts PDZA will create a framework to meet and ultimately exceed the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA) Green Guide standards for sustainable practices.
If you are passionate and knowledgeable about sustainable practices, have a commitment to conservation, and have excellent oral and written communication skills you might be the person that we are looking for to help develop our first Sustainable Operations Plan.
Under the direction of the Zoo’s Deputy Director and Sustainability Committee you will:
• Research sustainability plans, policies and procedures used by other AZA accredited zoos and aquariums.
• Document current practices and make suggestions for areas of new emphasis.
• Develop a set of best practices for sustainability for use in every phase of the Zoo’s operation.
• Write a guide for staff to follow as we move forward in the development of new exhibits and improve existing methods of operation when possible.
Our ideal candidate will have:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, research and time management skills.
• The ability to work individually or contribute to a team project.
• A background in environmental science, preferably having completed or currently enrolled in a graduate program in this or a related field.
• Familiarity with how zoos and aquariums operate as conservation and education organizations.
• The ability to travel (limited) within the Pacific Northwest region.
This is a full-time paid position at $15/hour for 10-12 weeks. This position would take place during the summer season, however start and end dates are somewhat flexible.
If you are interested in pursuing this unique opportunity please submit a detailed resume, cover letter and completed internship application (http://www.pdza.org/internships) along with at least two letters of recommendation to: Internship Coordinator, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, 5400 N Pearl St., Tacoma, WA 98407.
Application materials must be postmarked no later than May 12th, 2014.