Organization: Houston Zoo
Location: Houston, Texas, Country
Job or Internship: Job
The Horticulture Technician I will perform duties such as the installation of exciting and underutilized plants, watering, weeding, removal of invasive plants, pruning, fertilization, grading and other tasks needed for general care and maintenance of planted areas. The team is responsible for the beautification efforts for the Houston Zoo, including a large collection of bamboo, palm trees, exotic plants, and more.
• Must have a positive attitude, good communication skills and be a team player
• Portray a helpful attitude when interacting with our Guests
• Project a professional image while in uniform and respond to radio calls in a timely manner
• Adheres to Zoo policies and procedures to ensure the safety and welfare of collection animals, guests, and other staff members
• Cleans and maintains zoo plantings both inside and outside of exhibits providing a pleasing and lush horticulture environment around the zoo
• Provides regular intensive maintenance of plant material, such as watering, fertilizing, pruning, weeding and performing other projects as required
• Assists in gathering daily browse for herbivorous animal collection
• Works independently in maintaining an assigned section of the Zoo
• Must be able to work well in a diverse team environment which may include Volunteers and other Zoo staff
• Maintains appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when working with chemicals and machinery
• Ensure compliance with OSHA standards and regulations, as well as state, local and federal ordinances. Observes safety regulations at all times
• Responsible for the care and maintenance of departmental tools and equipment
• Other duties as assigned
Staff may occasionally be required to work weekends, holidays and beyond scheduled work hours. Staff may also provide crowd control if necessary during peak times.
Some experience in a horticultural field such as landscape installation, grounds maintenance, plant production or tree work is highly desirable.
Basic knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation and simple mathematical functions like percentages, ratios, etc. as might normally be acquired through attainment of a high school diploma or a GED. Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and comply with policy on driving. Additional training in horticultural skills is preferred.
The position involves considerable physical exertion, such as walking, bending, stooping, regular climbing of ladders, lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds) on a highly frequent basis and/or assuming awkward positions for long periods of time.
There are routine exposures to significant levels of heat, cold, moisture and air pollution. The position may involve periodic exposure to chemical substances and physical trauma of a minor nature such as cuts, bruises and minor burns.
Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli with in moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinated eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements.
Requires attention to detail and a concern for public comfort through providing a clean and pleasant environment for both zoo guests and staff.
Applicants can visit www.houstonzoo.org/careers to download an application
E-mail resume and completed application to email@example.com
Houston Zoo is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer