Organization: Abilene Zoological Gardens
Location: Abilene, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Abilene Zoo is looking for an enthusiastic individual to join their Education Team as a full time member. This individual will be involved in all aspects of Education at the Abilene Zoo. Essential Job responsibilities are:
1. Teach classes as needed including pre-school, home school and school groups and participation in special events and after hour programs as required
2. Assists with planning and implementing a variety of interpretive programs for adults, youth and school groups, including educational programs designed to inform zoo patrons of the natural history and ecological development of animals.
3. Animal husbandry including, feeding, cleaning, and maintenance of animal enclosures including completing reports as needed and assisting in the development and maintenance of operant conditioning training of animals and develop and maintain animal handling skills.
4. Assist with selection and training of zoo teens and volunteers as needed. Supervises and directs assigned volunteers, makes work assignments, provides training and corrective instruction. Coordinate volunteers to teach/work programs and special events
5. Assist with planning, developing and maintaining graphics and signage for various exhibits.
6. Responsible for implementing and managing camp and program activities which includes maintaining a safe, positive, and enjoyable camp environment at all times. Supervises camp and program participants.
7. Researches natural history and habitat of animals. Interprets zoo collection through presentations, tours, classes, programs and public/media appearances.
8. Organize educational materials.
9. Maintains current knowledge of trends and developments in the zoological field by periodically attending seminars/workshops.
The ideal candidate will have at least two years of experience working with the public, especially children, in an educational, zoo or aquarium setting.
The Abilene Zoo currently is a 13 acre facility with an additional 26 acres available for expansion. Accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums the zoo is home to over 1,000 specimens of over 125 species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates. The Zoo is Abilene’s number one tourist attraction with an annual attendance in excess of 200,000 guests and is the only accredited zoo between Fort Worth and El Paso.
Please visit www.cityofabilene.jobs for full job description and application.