Organization: Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo
Location: Tampa, FL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo is currently seeking qualified applicants for a Full-time Animal Care Supervisor in the African Hoofstock Department.
This position is responsible for supervising the daily functions of the African Hoofstock Department and performs diverse and skilled assignments related to the daily supervision of a variety of animals. Works closely with Animal Department management to carry out the functions and duties of the Animal Department. Responsible for ensuring Association of Zoo & Aquariums (AZA) accreditation as it relates to functional areas of responsibility.
Essential Functions (Including, but not limited to):
• Supervises assignments related to the daily care of the collection for a variety of animals.
• Responsible for proper and safe use and maintenance of all equipment and tools. Secures and monitors equipment and tools to ensure that only trained or certified employees have access for use. Maintains safe equipment use and ensures proper PPE use within the department. Instills the importance of safe use of equipment to and tools to subordinates on a daily basis.
• Under the direction of the Associate Curator, assists with mentoring, training, scheduling, safety, development, performance management of subordinates. Reports general human resource needs of subordinates to management prior to taking action.
• Establishes and maintains efficient work routines in all areas of responsibility that meet or exceed industry standards and regulatory agency requirements.
• Inspects assigned areas of responsibility daily at beginning and end of shift and reports animal illnesses, abnormal behavior, and unsafe conditions promptly to appropriate Animal Department staff (including the staff Veterinarian).
• Submits daily keeper reports and takes charge of the animal department operations as required in absence and upon the request of the Animal Department management.
• Keeps detailed, accurate records of all animals within assigned areas. Generates written and verbal reports as needed. Under the direction of the Associate Curator, writes articles for publication.
• Works with Animal Department management to support successful selective breeding of animal collection.
• Assists in exhibit planning, construction, and supervision of construction relating to assigned areas of concern.
• Inspects Zoo grounds and animal housing facilities daily for cleanliness and safety and checks animal habitats and cages for security and other conditions.
• Assists in relocating animals as instructed; patrols Zoo areas to enforce Zoo rules and regulations; stops mistreatment of animals and destruction of Zoo property; and answers questions of Zoo visitors in a courteous and pleasant manner.
• Checks animals showing signs of illness, peculiarities in appearance, gait or motion and report to Associate Curator for action; administers prescribed dosages of vitamins and medications when necessary; performs minor first aid and assists Vet Technician / Associate Curator and or Veterinarian in treating Zoo animals; moves, loads and unloads animals as required; drives vehicles to pick-up and deliver supplies and animals.
• Conducts guided tours as required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Employee must be able to effectively interact with all audiences.
• Skills in team building and personnel management, emphasizing leadership.
• A Bachelor or Associate degree in biology, vertebrate zoology, the natural science or related field or equivalent specialized training is preferred.
• A minimum of three years of working experience in an AZA accredited zoological setting preferred.
• Working knowledge of the behaviors, diets, breeding habits and custodial care of a variety of native, exotic and domestic animals.
• Working knowledge of occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions.
• Working knowledge of specific animals custodial and feeding requirements, regulatory and industry standards of care.
• Working knowledge of minor maintenance skills.
• Must be able to withstand typical Florida climate, sometimes temperatures exceeding 90 degrees.
• Must be willing to work varied and long shifts including holidays and weekends.
• Must be able to lift at least 65 pounds.
• Must be able to work in a variety of physical positions, including sitting, bending, standing, walking and driving.
Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace. Salary levels commensurate with education and experience. Full-time positions offer excellent benefits. Staff are required to work holidays, different shift changes, and occasional overtime. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background screening as well as TB and drug testing.
Please apply online at:
or visit the Zoo’s websites at www.lowryparkzoo.com and follow the link for careers.
No phone calls please.
Deadline to apply is April 4, 2014