Organization: Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens
Location: Los Angeles, CA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens is seeking a dynamic, visionary and experienced leader to join the Zoo’s executive team as the General Curator. The Animal Collection Curator, also known as the General Curator, is responsible for managing, directing, and coordinating all functions of the Animal Care Division at the Los Angeles Zoo. This Division provides the animal care, husbandry, nutrition and enrichment for approximately 1,100 animals in the Zoo’s collection. The Division also oversees behavioral research, conservation programs and animal records management. Specific duties and responsibilities are as follows:
• Serves on the executive management team of the Zoo.
• Manages a division of nearly 100 full-time and 23 part-time employees through seven direct reports.
• Manages the acquisition, disposition, welfare and exhibition of the animal collection.
• Oversees the development and implementation of animal conservation and research programs.
• Facilitates the professional development of the Animal Care Division staff through participation in classes, workshops, seminars, conferences, conservation and research programs, and professional organizations.
• Implements, evaluates and enforces husbandry policies and safety standards to ensure the well-being of a diverse animal collection and provides a safe and enjoyable visitor experience.
• Oversees the development and evaluation of enrichment and training programs.• Works in concert with the Chief Veterinarian for the maximum benefit of the animal collection.
• Plays a lead role in the planning and development of new animal exhibits, including concepts, designs and managing/planning for impacts to the animal care team.
• Oversees institutional collection planning process.
• Participates in AZA animal management programs.
For additional information, please click on the link below.