Organization: Lincoln Park Zoo
Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Directs the financial activities of the organization and prepares financial analyses of zoo operations, including interim and final financial statements with supporting schedules, for the guidance of management. Responsible for providing the organization and its management with the appropriate and necessary financial and operating information.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Develops, analyzes, and interprets statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization
• Manages the Accounting and Information Technology Departments.
• Ensures accuracy of general ledger
• Prepares reports and assists in managing the zoo’s investments
• Oversees federal and state grants
• Oversees the preparation of financial reports to outside organizations including banks, donors and governmental entities
• Manages the zoo’s banking relationships
• Coordinates and directs the preparation of zoo budgets and financial forecasts, and analyzes and reports variances. Develops and manages departmental budget
• Prepares federal and state tax returns.
• Prepares reports required by regulatory agencies.
• May advise management on desirable operational adjustments due to tax code revisions.
• Manages the annual audit
• Assures the timely and accurate taking and costing of all physical inventories
• Assures that all properties and activities of the organization are properly and adequately insured
• Oversees the maintenance of adequate records of all contracts and leases
• Manages assigned staff, including selection, job assignment, training and development, evaluation, salary review, promotion, discipline and separation
• Other duties as may be assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Adept with accounting systems and software. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP,IBM Cognos and Raiser’s Edge preferred.
• Thorough knowledge of general accounting principles and Financial Accounting Standards Board rulings
• Strong communication skills, written and verbal
• Well-developed management skills – principles and people – with proven ability to supervise staff
• Strong analytical and reasoning abilities
• Ability to work under tight schedules and meet deadlines
• Ability to establish credibility and be decisive – but able to recognize and support the organization’s preferences and priorities
• Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along well with diverse personalities – tactful, mature, flexible
• Ability to represent the Society in a professional manner at all times
• Ability to interact courteously and respectfully with supervisors, fellow employees, volunteers, zoo visitors and general public
• Strong computer desktop skills required. Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (i.e.,macros, pivot tables, etc.) preferred.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required. Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business Administration with specialization in Accounting, preferred.
A minimum of seven years’ accounting experience gained through increasingly responsible management positions. At least 3 years supervisory experience.
Note: A comparable combination of education, experience or training that would provide the level of knowledge, skills and ability required may qualify an individual.
Ability to work at computer for long periods of time
Ability to traverse zoo grounds
Available to work special events that may occur outside of regular work schedule, including evenings, weekends or holidays, as assigned.