Organization: Alaska SeaLife Center
Location: Seward, Alaska, United States
Job or Internship: Job
This position is responsible for marketing, sales, communications, advertising and events at the Alaska SeaLife Center. Serves as co-chair of the cross-functional Visitor Team. Must believe in the core values of the ASLC and be driven by the mission.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and seven years’ experience in similar position (ten years preferred) with a minimum of three years supervisory experience (five years preferred) or the equivalent.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
1. Serves as the Center’s lead on marketing and sales activities with various professional tourism companies and marketing associations. Develops annual sales initiatives, visitor projections and makes presentations to potential customers, both at the ASLC and in external venues. Monitors and provides analysis of marketing and sales effectiveness. Implements corrective measures, when necessary. Oversees the creation, placement and tracking of advertising as well as develops strategic plans, policies and advertising strategies.
2. Manages the “public face” of the Center and key interactions with media, members and friends - leads development of written materials for public relations events, press releases, feature articles, annual reports and all media-related requests. Communicates to the media and general public in a timely and positive manner. Oversees the Center photo and presentation database. Oversees the ASLC Facebook account and other social media programs (e.g. Twitter); establishes protocols for their use and limitations. Enhances branding and manages the use of the Center’s logo.
3. Works with ASLC staff, within their areas of expertise, to help provide supporting materials for web updates, proposals, exhibits and communications. Ensures accuracy in all written and media representations of the Center’s work and operations.
4. Coordinates with all departments to facilitate events, including fundraising events, member events, staff events, and facility rentals. Works closely with the Development Department to create a seamless plan for all fundraising events, maintaining primary responsibility for decorations, logistics, food & beverage, venue, and staffing.
5. Conducts VIP, media and FAM facility tours as needed.
6. Ensures proper control and administration of all assigned resources including annual budget allocations, capital improvements, fixed assets, equipment, supplies, and purchasing authorities. Maintains cost-effective oversight of expenditures.
7. Supervises personnel matters within the department. Assigns and checks work, establishes schedules, sets deadlines, and delegates authority. Sets performance standards for staff. Prepares annual performance evaluations. Makes department related personnel recommendations.
8. Ensures all department personnel are properly trained and equipped for their assigned tasks, and conducts or arranges for training as necessary to carry out the department’s objectives.
9. Assists the President and CEO with formulating the Center’s policies and procedures as they relate to
Sales, Marketing and Events and ensures they are accurate, current, and in compliance with federal, state and local regulations. Reviews and updates policies as laws change.
10. Coordinates resources with the Development, Husbandry, Research, Education, Facilities and Operations Directors to ensure that projects are completed in a timely manner to support the Center’s mission and success.
11. When requested by the President and CEO, communicates with members of the Board of Directors and their assigned committees concerning matters affecting the Center.
12. Keeps the President and CEO informed of the Department’s status and problems.
13. Innovates ways to enhance and improve Center operations, within budgetary resources.
14. Maintains official ASLC records in accordance with the current Records Retention Policy and Schedule.
This is a full-time position. ASLC offers a competitive wage (DOE) and benefits package.
Apply by: Open until filled
Start Date: ASAP
Send resume & application (downloadable at www.alaskasealife.org) to HR@alaskasealife.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.