Organization: Lincoln Children's Zoo
Location: Lincoln, NE, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Lincoln Children’s Zoo is offering an opportunity to participate in unpaid internships in the Education Department! This position is responsible for assisting the Zoo’s Education Department in implementing a fun and exciting recreational and educational summer program for children ages 4-12. The programs will be based on topics relating to natural sciences (zoology, ecology, conservation and animal husbandry) with the purpose of igniting in all people a passion for learning and conservation.
This internship requires a minimum commitment of 200 hours throughout the duration of the camp program which runs June 2 – August 8. Interns are primarily responsible for live animal presentations, greeting campers and families, supervising campers, completing administrative tasks, and substitute teaching where needed.
- Minimum commitment of 200 hours from June 2 – August 8 required (orientation in mid-May).
- Must work in full day increments
- 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
- Attendance at camp training required.
- Attendance at animal handling training required.
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university in the pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree in Education, Zoology, Biology, or related field required. Career changers also welcome. Strong interest and/or background in science or education required.
- One year experience working with children and live animals desired.
- This position requires considerable flexibility and patience. Candidates must also be able to work well both independently and cooperatively in a positive, team-oriented environment.
- Assist with preparation and break-down of facilities and materials used in camp programs
- Assist Zoo staff members with administrative responsibilities pertaining to Camps including check-in, cleaning and organizing camp supplies, updating letters or other camp information.
- Lead live animal presentations to campers (includes handling of animals, training provided).
- Assist teachers with the implementation of summer camp programs including leading camp groups on Zoo grounds, assisting with and/or teaching portions of camp curriculum.
- Assist with coordination of Zoo Crew Teen Volunteer program.
- This position requires interns to work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
- We are currently accepting applications until March 31, 2014. Internships will begin May 16th and end first week in August.
- To submit an application, please visit our website at http://www.lincolnzoo.org/about/internships.html
Please note, applicant must also submit a resume and cover letter.
For further information or questions, please contact Taylor Daniels at 402-475-6741 or via email at email@example.com