Organization: New England Aquarium
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Job or Internship: Job
TITLE: Manager, Accounting
REPORTS TO: Director of Accounting Services
HOURS: Full Time Regular, Monday- Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm
Oversees and supports the day to day activities of the general accounting staff (Staff Accountant, Accounts Payable and Payroll) providing direction, feedback and mentoring as appropriate. Responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities. Plays a key role in ensuring monthly fiscal closes are completed on a timely basis. Also ensures that staff members meet their monthly goals by monitoring their activities and addressing problems and barriers that may arise.
1. Hire, train and supervise staff responsible for general ledger, accounts payable and payroll functions. Reviews and approves staff work as required by departmental standards and best practices.
2. Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
3. Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
4. Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
5. Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
6. Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
7. Responsible for maintenance of Fixed Asset Registers including opening and closing capital projects, processing monthly depreciation expense and year-end reconciliation and roll forwarded schedules. Prepares monthly construction and work in process (CIP/WIP) entry to general ledger (MIP).
8. Prepares monthly journal entries to capture revenue activity processed through the ATMS ticketing system for entry into the general ledger for month end close.
9. Prepares weekly attendance statistics in a timely fashion for senior management.
10. Prepares IMAX Theatre box office reports required by contractual agreements with IMAX Corporation and independent film distributors. This includes weekly and monthly reports.
11. Reconciles bank statements monthly (operating, payroll and pension account)
12. Oversee Payroll function and provide backup support to the Payroll Accountant when necessary.
13. Reconciles various balance sheet reports (general ledger control accounts) on a monthly basis. Includes ATMS, IMAX, Fixed Assets, etc.
14. Assist Director of Accounting Services with monthly, general ledger closings. Prepare miscellaneous journal entries for month end. Run and distribute monthly reports and review with senior management.
15. Principal Finance support to annual retirement plan audit process including providing audit schedules, journals, reports, and resolving any problems/issues.
16. Assist Director of Accounting Services with managing Finance budget. Process payments for supply vendors promptly and accurately through the use of PO’s and Payment warrants. Monitor expenses against budget.
17. Performs other position-related duties, as assigned.
MINUMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and 3 - 7 years’ job-related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have proven supervisory skills and knowledge of computerized accounting systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated management experience in the accounting functional areas of the general ledger, accounts payable and payroll.
• Strong supervisory and mentoring skills.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, computerized GL, and other business systems. Experience working with SAGE system a plus.
• Advanced knowledge of Excel and spreadsheet design techniques essential.
• Solid knowledge of accounting fundamentals, controls and processes.
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with strong customer service orientation (must be able to interact and collaborate effectively with internal and external customers at all levels).
• Well organized, with strong attention to detail and ability to consistently meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
New England Aquarium is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.NEAQ.ORG TO APPLY ONLINE