Organization: Tracy Aviary
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Tracy Aviary is seeking an aviculture intern. The internship is six months long, with the start date of 1 May 2014; and is designed to provide the training required for an entry level zoo keeping position or similar animal husbandry position. Under direct supervision of the bird keepers the intern will
• Learn basic husbandry procedures including daily cleaning, feeding, and preparing diets
• Provide scheduled enrichment
• Follow specific breeding protocols
• Learn to work safely around all birds
• Demonstrate proper capture and restraint techniques
• Observe or participate in basic husbandry training
• Assist with medical procedures
• Maintain exhibits
• Provide medical care and treatments
• Capture and restrain a wide variety of birds
In addition to the hands-on training received on a daily basis, all interns will attend 17 intern classes. These classes include avian anatomy and physiology, exhibit preparation, medical procedures, artificial incubation, record keeping, training, public speaking and how to get a job in the zoo field.
Education: Bachelors degree in zoology or related field from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Three months experience working with animals in a captive setting. (Zoo, vet clinic, research facility, or field work).
The internship is 40 hours a week, from 7:30am - 4:00pm with two days off in a row. The Aviary provides housing and a small monthly stipend. Interns receive the same on the job training as any new keeper. This is a great opportunity to gain zoo and exotic animal experience. Position is open until filled. This is an extremely competitive internship; interviews will begin upon receipt of resume. To apply please email cover letter, resume and work references to:
Lead Aviculturist/Intern Coordinator
589 East 1300 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84105