Organization: Conservancy of SW Florida
Location: Naples, Florida, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Conservancy of Southwest Florida began in 1964 and is a grassroots organization focused on the critical environmental issues of the Southwest Florida region - our water, land, wildlife, future. We accomplish this through the synergies of environmental education, science, policy, and wildlife rehabilitation. Working for the Conservancy of Southwest Florida means working for an important issue - protecting our environment. As a valued employee, you will have a distinct opportunity to make a lasting impact on the quality of life in the region for generations to come. The Conservancy of Southwest Florida and Conservancy Nature Center are located in Naples, FL.
The Conservancy of Southwest Florida seeks an Aquarist/Naturalist who is responsible for overseeing animal husbandry/care, maintenance of LSS (life support systems), aquaria/ vivaria and exhibits in the Discovery Center; training/supervising interns and volunteers; and educating visitors, public, and students about the Southwest Florida environment, conservation and the mission of the Conservancy.
For more information and to submit an Application go to: conservancy.org. (see AboutUs / WorkHere / Openings / Aquarist)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides care and maintenance of live exhibits including marine aquaria and reptile and amphibian exhibits.
• Interprets Southwest Florida’s natural environment and the Nature Center to and interacts with visitors of diverse ages and backgrounds.
• Designs, constructs, and maintains LSS/ aquaria and exhibits.
• Provides detailed recordkeeping of living collections, and permitting.
• Maintains collection of specimens - e.g. marine organisms / aquaria for education.
• Trains CAs/Interns and volunteers in daily operations of the Discovery Center and education programs.
• Supervises volunteers, interns, and staff, as applicable for the department area.
• Assists with related daily administrative duties, tracks inventory, orders supplies and materials.
• Assists with Conservancy special events.
• Delivers excellent customer service – both internal and external.
• Bachelor-level college degree in ecology, science, education, or related field.
• 2-4 years of science/ecology background and experience, with teaching experience preferred.
• Knowledge and experience in the care/husbandry of aquaria/vivaria, aquatic/marine and terrestrial life; fish, invertebrates, reptiles, etc.
• Ability to design, assemble, construct LSS / aquarium systems.
• Strong commitment to the conservation of Florida’s natural environment.
• Ability to conceptualize, design, and implement programs, projects, and activities related to the mission of the organization.
• Strong organizational and leadership abilities.
• Ability to work effectively as a team member.
• Willingness and flexibility to work outside usual 8:00 am-5:00 pm hours to conduct programs in the evenings, on weekends or holidays. Current Certification in CPR, First Aid, and Life Saving, or ability to obtain.
• Ability to perform the duties and physical demands of the job, with or without accommodation.
• Ability to work at times in hot, humid, and buggy conditions.
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.