Organization: John G Shedd Aquarium
Location: Chicago, IL, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
Environmental Quality interns will work alongside staff and volunteers to complete daily duties which include, but are not limited to, collecting and completing water chemistry analysis for marine and fresh water systems, recording data, interpreting data, preparing daily reports as well as working independently on an assigned project.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Demonstrate commitment to Shedd’s vision, mission and values.
• Performs daily EQ duties, primarily focusing on wet chemical analysis of water samples
• Works independently on a given project with the help of a mentor
• Maintains written water quality records and disseminates data to department staff
• Maintains a clean and safe working environment
• Collects water samples from exhibits and systems as directed.
• Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Previous lab experience from school or work; familiarity with lab instrumentation and water quality parameters
Desired Year in School: College level Junior or higher
Desired Majors: Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Sciences
Time Commitment/Hours Required Per Week: Minimum 24 hours per week. The hours would likely be between 8am until 4pm, and the days of the week depends on the scheduling of the interns. The interns are expected to work minumum24 hours per week for the length of the internship. Hours may be longer based on project, school commitment if applicable and length of internship. Flexibility is required for weekend work. We are also flexible with class schedules or work schedules.
Complete approximately a 10-week program or appropriate time if internship is part of a University requirement. We will also accept interns who have graduated college and are pursuing a career directly related to water analysis.
• Must complete mid-point and final evaluation surveys for Shedd along with any University reports as well.
• Must attend orientation through volunteer services and may participate in any additional training courses at Shedd
• Must complete a project independent of daily operations. Project will be assigned by the senior supervisor. This may include working with lab equipment such as a spectrophotometer, dissolved oxygen meter, atomic absorption analyzer, sound meters, air quality monitoring equipment and pH meters.
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must have one year of college chemistry including lab
• Additional college chemistry work especially Analytical chemistry is a plus
• Familiarity with basic aquarium water chemistry and testing methods desirable.
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Access and Word
• Highly motivated for results, time management skills and multi-tasking are a must
• Ability to relate to and work with other volunteers in a pleasant and helpful manner
• Strong investigation and problem solving skills. Work independently with a willingness to contribute where needed.
TO APPLY please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Completed application
- A cover letter
- A resume outlining your academic and professional experience
- Two (2) letters of recommendation