Organization: Brevard Zoo
Location: Melbourne, FL, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Reporting to the Facilities Director, the Lead Landscaping Technician directs the activities of the landscaping crew.
• Maintain grounds, including exhibit interiors and exteriors. Coordinates all horticulture tasks with animal care staff.
• Develop, plan and oversee installation of all horticultural facilities/gardens.
• Apply herbicides and pesticides.
• Solicit plant materials etc. from various public and private sources.
• Coordinate and direct activities of the horticulture volunteer program.
• Maintaining and installing complex irrigation systems.
• Daily hands-on landscaping that includes tree climbing.
• Assist in developing long and short range goals and objectives for zoo grounds.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Associate’s degree or post-secondary equivalent and three years progressively responsible professional horticulture and gardening experience or any combination of experience and education that provides the necessary skills to complete the required tasks.
Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
Requires the ability of speaking and/or signaling people to convey or exchange information, which includes giving assignments and/or directions to volunteers and receiving assignments and/or directions from supervisor.
Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency, unusual or dangerous situations in which working speed and sustained attention make or break aspects of the job. The worker may be subject to danger or risk to a slight degree, or to tension as a regular, consistent part of the job.
Applications will be accepted until February 7, 2014. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Jackie Fisher, email@example.com. No Phone calls please.