Organization: Houston Zoo
Location: Houston, Texas, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Join an enthusiastic team that provides a fun, unique and inspirational experience fostering appreciation, knowledge, and care for the natural world. The Houston Zoo aspires to be recognized by peers, staff, and general public as a leader among conservation efforts, delivering excellence in animal care, entertainment, education, and Guest service.
The Assistant Buyer places purchase orders for goods and services covering the full range of needs for the Zoo. This position performs administrative and clerical tasks in support of the Purchasing department.
• Converts order requests to purchase orders through purchasing software system in accordance with established policies, procedures and authorization levels in the organization.
• Processes and enters purchase requests for goods and services covering the full range of needs of the Zoo. Expedites orders as needed.
• Compiles data for use in a variety of reports, surveys, inventories and studies.
• Organizes systems and processes for offices.
• Ensures all change orders are properly documented and processed.
• Ensures purchases are properly recorded, evidence of receipt is appropriate and processes requests for payment to the accounts payable.
• Problem solves purchase order discrepancies and resolves all invoice issues with accounts payable.
• Assists Zoo staff with development of specifications to ensure goods and services are appropriate to their needs and are supplied within specified due dates.
• Performs routine administrative office duties such as ordering supplies, managing copiers, interfacing with vendors, filing, maintain paper supply levels for shared copiers, fax machines and printers, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
Staff will be required to work weekends, holidays, some evenings, rotating schedules and beyond scheduled work hours. Staff may also provide crowd control if necessary during peak times.
One to three years of experience in professional purchasing function. Inventory control experience is a plus.
Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or a closely related field is highly desirable. Excellent oral and written communications skills required. Must have good math and counting skills and be proficient in common computer software, including Microsoft Office. One year using an MRP system preferred.
Must be able to partner with virtually all other departments within the Zoo and, in particular, work closely with the Animal Nutrition department working in the same building.
The Assistant Buyer reports to Purchasing Manager.
The position requires walking, stooping, bending and reaching as needed for filing, maintenance of file records and use of a keyboard regularly and pulling inventory from warehouse shelves. Requires light lifting, such as three or four reams of papers, books or file boxes (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight).
The work environment is generally comfortable and most work is indoors although the position may require work outside in the Zoo for special events, tours and presentations.
The position involves minimal physical exertion, such as the ability to work for long periods at a computer keyboard, walking to and from select buildings, and lifting small boxes (less than 20 lbs.). Clear speech and good audio skills.
The Assistant Buyer position is frequently required to interface with outside vendors or clients, and internal clients. Excellent interpersonal and partnering skills are required. The position requires public contact requiring considerable interpersonal and partnering skills, extensive interaction with the public, donors, members, and the press and requires a high degree of appreciation of customer service.
Applicants can visit www.houstonzoo.org/careers to download an application
E-mail resume and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Houston Zoo is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer