Organization: Zoo Atlanta
Location: Atlanta, GA, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Job Title: Horticulture Tech I Date: December 2011
Department: Horticulture Reports to: Curator of Horticulture
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Job Status: Full-time
Job Purpose: The Horticulture Technician I is responsible for landscape duties and functions as necessary to meet operating needs with a high degree of efficiency and independence to maintain performance standards. This position will work with the maintenance/grounds staff to clear animal areas of debris, materials, etc. The Horticulture Technician I will report to the Lead Horticulture Technician.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Installation and maintenance of plant materials, seasonal color, and turf for all zoo landscapes and animal exhibits; including pruning, pest management, greenhouse management, irrigation, and public interaction.
Assist with supervision of seasonal staff and volunteers.
Experience in the operation and maintenance of all types of grounds equipment, especially those related to horticulture and arboriculture, skid steer loaders, and backhoe tractors desired.
Assist with identification and resolution of problems in order to maintain botanical collection of the Zoo.
Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement.
Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Horticulture management team.
• Knowledge of plants, horticultural practices, procedures, and principles including installation and maintenance of turf.
• Knowledge and culture of plants, horticultural practices, procedures, and principles including installation and maintenance of turf desired.
Special skills and abilities:
• Communicate effectively verbally and in writing; understand and follow instructions.
• Operate mowers, weed-eaters, hedge-trimmers, blowers, chain saws, tillers, chippers, sprayers, and other related equipment.
• Good organizational and communication skills required.
• Ability to work as a team member and with little or no direct supervision.
• Experience in an animal diet kitchen or other food prep operation a plus.
• Must be able to pass a social security & criminal background checks; TB, drug and FRT tests.
• Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or equivalent.
Driving Requirements: Must have a valid Georgia driver’s license
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Perform physical tasks such as lifting > 50 lbs., digging, standing, walking, bending, climbing, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work outdoors in all types of weather; work a schedule that may include weekends, evenings, and holidays.
MISC: This job description in not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Zoo Atlanta is an EOE and provides a Smoke-free and Drug-free Work Environment
If you are interested in applying for this position, go to our website: zooatlanta.org/careers.