Organization: Ripley’s Aquarium
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Please apply at:
Director of Education, Conservation and Fun
Ripley’s Aquarium is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic individual to lead our Department of Education, Conservation and Fun.
The department’s mission is to provide amazing and memorable guest experiences and educational programs in a fun and entertaining manner, and to spearhead conservation efforts within both the aquarium and the broader community.
The Department of Education, Conservation and Fun is integral in providing the fun, entertaining experience that Ripley’s visitors desire, through diverse guest programs and a wide variety of educational offerings. The department manager is responsible for ensuring the continued quality and growth of our current programs, while developing and implementing creative and innovative new programs. Departmental programs include Mermaid Shows, Dive Shows, Stingray Experiences, Aquarium Educators, Onsite and Outreach Education programs, After-school Kids Club, Sleep with the Sharks, Summer Camps and Special Programs. The director is also responsible for growing Ripley’s Aquarium’s conservation program and cementing our position as a conservation leader in the Myrtle Beach community.
Ripley’s Aquarium is an 87,000 sq. ft. facility boasting more than 1.2 million gallons of fresh and saltwater exhibits. The Aquarium is home to a world-class collection of nearly 10,000 animals including sharks, stingrays, poison dart frogs, iguanas, a green sea turtle, and tropical freshwater and coral reef fish from around the world. We entertain and educate our guests with exciting interactive and educational experiences throughout their visit. The Aquarium is one of five Ripley's attractions in Myrtle Beach, SC. The Aquarium is located at Broadway at the Beach, a retail, dining and entertainment complex located only 5 minutes from South Carolina’s beautiful sandy beaches.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Create a fun and engaging environment for Ripley’s visitors and staff.
• Responsible for developing and managing departmental budget, with monthly budget adherence accountability.
• Work closely with all departments and managers on the Ripley team. Share best practices between departments and with other Ripley’s attractions.
• Evaluate all programs and initiatives to ensure most efficient use of resources to provide optimal guest and educational experiences.
• Effectively manage, lead and develop a team of approximately 75 staff during peak season. Provide challenges and opportunities, coaching and evaluations, and make recommendations for improved performance.
• Guest Experience Responsibilities
• Primary responsibility for ensuring a fun and memorable experience for all aquarium visitors.
• Constant evaluation and refinement of existing programs to ensure maximum entertainment and education of guests.
• Ensure safety of guests throughout all visitor experiences.
• Education Responsibilities
• Incorporate empowering conservation messages into all aspects of fun educational programs.
• Develop and nurture relationships with local schools. Serve as primary contact for area school representatives. Build working rapport within the education community to ensure the Aquarium will grow as a community asset.
• Create programming each year in support of new Aquarium attractions, and to grow current programs.
• Expand educational offerings to include Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum and related programs.
• Must be familiar with or be able to familiarize self with common core and SC state standards to ensure alignment of education programs.
• Work closely with Sales and Marketing Department to ensure program volume goals are achieved and also to expand reach of Ripley’s Aquarium’s Education Department.
• Conservation Responsibilities
• Develop and implement fun conservation initiatives within the Aquarium; drive conservation messages through Aquarium exhibits and programs.
• Lead community-wide conservation initiatives within Myrtle Beach and surrounding areas; garner community support and participation in conservation efforts.
• Broaden the Aquarium’s role in conservation.
• Must love people!
• Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental education, nature interpretation or closely related field. Master’s degree preferred.
• Fun, energetic and dynamic personality and positive attitude.
• Strong commitment to outstanding customer service.
• Solid interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written, and active listening skills.
• Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
• Ability to work and communicate well with others in a fast paced team environment, take initiative and solve problems.
• Strong follow through, prioritization, and coordinating skills.
• Minimum 3-5 years’ experience working in an aquarium, zoo, recreation facility, entertainment venue, attraction or other related organization preferred.
• Some evenings, weekends and holidays required.
• Valid SC Driver’s License required; prefer ability to earn Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
To apply….. please send resume and salary requirements….