Organization: Association of Zoos and Aquariums
Location: Silver Spring, MD, us
Job or Internship: Job
Reports to: President & CEO
The Senior Vice President, External Affairs will design and implement communications, public affairs and government-targeted strategies that advance the goals of AZA’s strategic plan and provides support and member services in these key areas to the AZA membership.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop, coordinate, implement and direct communications strategies, public affairs campaigns and issues management plans that characterize, define and enhance the profile and impact of AZA and its members; communicate their accomplishments, expertise and vision; and communicate their essential role in wildlife conservation.
- Develop, implement and direct strategies and communications to raise the visibility of AZA and its member institutions;
- Serve as senior media representative and spokesperson for the Association;
- Provide direct assistance, advice and counsel to member organizations with regards to crisis communications, media and public affairs issues;
- Design and oversee public opinion research;
- Design and implement strategies to compare and draw contrasts between animal welfare and animal rights, and other accrediting bodies;
- Work with AZA Senior Staff on the preparation of remarks, speeches, talking points, media coaching and communications to the AZA Board and membership;
- Work collaboratively with AZA staff and members to improve quality, usefulness, accuracy, timeliness and value of information, communications, publications, meetings, conferences, surveys, etc.
- Set annual work plan goals and develop and manage departmental budget;
- Serve as staff liaison to the PR Committee, Trends Committee and other Committees as assigned;
- Provide management and supervision to Public Relations Coordinator;
- Other duties and opportunities as assigned by the President & CEO, Executive Director, or Chief Operating Officer.
Knowledge, Skills and other Characteristics
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Continual attention to detail, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines;
- Experience managing staff;
- Experience utilizing cutting-edge communications tools and technologies.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required and Master’s degree preferred
- 8+ years as Senior Communications/Public Affairs professional (preferably with Association experience);
- Track record of success implementing communications plans and government targeted strategies
- Demonstrated experience with media relations, crisis communications and issues management
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.