Organization: Texas State Aquarium
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Job
• Manage ocean-related STEM program and curriculum development and evaluation, especially onsite school programs; homeschool, camp-in, Sea Camps, and/or Sensational Seafood offerings; coordinate these activities with the Distance Learning and Outreach Manager and / or other departments involved in STEM Education such as: volunteers, programs, animal husbandry, membership, etc.
• Monitor all programs for alignment with relevant national, state, and local standards for use of best and “next” practices in STEM education.
• Coordinate with departmental director and Distance Learning and Outreach Manager to monitor for excellence in STEM education in all TSA programs.
• Plan and/or guide staff training in STEM education practices (monthly seminars and other programs TBD)
• Oversee STEM education program evaluation and research.
• Write and submit STEM education grant proposals specifically related to management areas; manage awarded grants.
• Co-manage professional development programs with Distance Learning and Outreach Manager.
• Partner with the Sales department to promote revenue generating programs to meet revenue goals; identify new markets and opportunities for education programs.
• Partner with other departments to develop and implement programs.
• Oversee and conduct regular performance appraisals of coordinators and instructional staff.
• Assess and ensure adequate staffing levels based on scheduled programming and attendance.
• Oversee accrediting and / or licensing as required in coordination with the Human Resources Director.
• Development and management of program budgets.
• Conduct programs as needed.
• Monitor and evaluate programs for quality.
• Supervise/manage/direct the selection, training, development, appraisal and work assignments of assigned personnel.
• Hire, train, mentor, and motivate staff.
• Represent the Aquarium in related professional associations and events.
• Comply with a safety policies, practices, and procedures. Report all unsafe work practices to supervisor and / or Human Resources.
• Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge and skills.
• Provide exceptional guest service.
• Abide by and enforce all policies and procedures outlined in the Animal Husbandry Standard Operating Procedures.
• Abide by and enforce all policies and procedures outlined in the employee handbook.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Ability to read, write, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents, ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
• Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style.
• Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics on top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
• Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
• Ability to define problems collects data, establishes facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• Demonstrated use of Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
• Ability to prioritize, organize, and delegate assignments and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
Master’s degree or equivalent; or four to ten years of related experience and / or training’ or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Valid Texas Drivers License and Insurable Driving Record
Valid Texas Teaching Certificate
STEM applications for Mobile Devices
• Well lighted, heated and or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation
• Light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of an administrative nature.
• Manual dexterity sufficient to reach / handle items, works with fingers.
• Work Schedule – regular / normal work hours and days assigned.
• No special vision requirements.
• Minimal travel generally within a 30 mile radius.
• Minimal overnight travel by land or air – up to 10%
• Job is usually performed in a quiet office environment.