Organization: Friends of the National Zoo
Location: Front Royal, VA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Friends of the National Zoo is looking for individuals who have experience working with children ages 10-15 for the On-site Director position at the residential summer camp at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI) in Front Royal, Virginia. Applicants must have strong leadership and organizational skills, experience in either camp or informal instructional settings, knowledge of the natural sciences, and a love and appreciation for wildlife and the outdoors.
• At least 25 years of age
• Bachelor’s Degree required; preferably with concentration in science or education.
• Extensive experience in informal education and within camp administration.
• Experience facilitating teambuilding and large group activities.
• Current certification in American Red Cross First Aid and CPR. (Certification must be obtained by June 01, 2014). Current lifeguard certification is preferred.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Ability to hike up to 4 miles a day in all weather conditions.
• Responsible, self-motivated, enthusiastic, and punctual.
• Live on site during camp season.
• Report to and works directly with the permanent camp directors to ensure the smooth operation of the program.
• Responsible for the overall leadership of the camp, including health and welfare of campers.
• Supervise all aspects of the camp program including but not limited to:
o Serves as on-site liaison with SCBI, George Mason University, and catering.
o Enforces all established camp policies and procedures.
o Handles all camp discipline issues and parental contact.
o Staff management.
• Lead the Senior Residential Outdoor Educators (SROE) in performing the daily administrative tasks, including but not limited to creating weekly camper and staff schedules, camper room and group assignments, and coordination of supplies.
• Develop and teach one, 1.5 hour class per week around the theme of conservation, nature, wildlife and the outdoors.
• Help educators lead campers in daily hikes and other activities, including field trips.
• Work with SCBI staff and outside organizations to provide programming and service projects for campers.
• Facilitate staff training week.
• Conduct camp and staff evaluations.
Term of Employment:
Wednesday, June 11 - Sunday, August 10, 2014
Competitive stipend includes housing and some meals.
Location and Lodging:
All camp staff lives at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Front Royal, Virginia.
To apply, visit us at www.fonzjobs.com and upload your cover letter, resume and references.
As an equal opportunity employer, FONZ values workplace diversity.