Organization: Friends of the National Zoo
Location: Front Royal, VA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Friends of the National Zoo is looking for individuals who have experience working with children ages 10-15 for the Senior Residential Outdoor Educator position at our residential summer camp at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI) in Front Royal, Virginia. Applicants must have strong organizational skills, experience in either camp or informal instructional settings, knowledge of the natural sciences, and a love and appreciation for wildlife and the outdoors.
• At least 21 years of age.
• Minimum of one year of college required.
• Experience working with children, preferably in a camp setting.
• Experience in informal or formal lesson development and facilitation.
• Administrative or management experience preferred.
• Coursework / experience in science, nature studies, or outdoor education.
• Current certification in American Red Cross First Aid and CPR required; additional lifeguard certification preferred (must be obtained by June 01, 2014).
• Valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
• Ability to hike up to 4 miles a day in all weather conditions.
• Responsible, self-motivated, enthusiastic, and punctual.
• Supervise all aspects of the camp program when the On-Site Director is off.
• Develop and teach two, 1.5 hour classes per week around the theme of conservation, nature, wildlife and the outdoors.
• Mentor other educators to provide activities that excite, engage, and inspire campers to care about wildlife and the natural world.
• Facilitate programs for staff training week.
• Assist with camp and staff evaluations.
• Live on-site during 6 week camp session.
• Assume accountability for the health and welfare of campers.
• Understand, follow, interpret, and enforce all camp rules, policies and procedures.
• Provide preliminary support to On-Site Director regarding camp management, i.e. staff supervision, and camper discipline issues.
• Assist On-site Director with daily administrative tasks, including but not limited to scheduling of campers and staff, coordination of supplies and writing of daily blog.
Term of Employment:
Wednesday, June 25 - Sunday, August 10, 2014
Competitive stipend includes housing and meals during camp sessions.
Location and Lodging:
All camp staff lives at the Smithsonian’s Conservation Biology Institute in Front Royal, Virginia.
To apply, visit us at www.fonzjobs.com and upload your cover letter, resume and references.
As an equal opportunity employer, FONZ values workplace diversity.