Organization: Friends of the National Zoo
Location: Front Royal, VA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Friends of the National Zoo is looking for individuals who have experience working with children ages 10-15 for the Residential Outdoor Educator position at their residential camp at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI) in Front Royal, Virginia. Applicants must have experience in either camp or informal education settings, knowledge of the natural sciences, and a love and appreciation for wildlife and the outdoors.
• At least 21 years of age.
• Minimum of one year of college required.
• Experience working with children, preferably in a camp setting.
• Experience in informal or formal lesson development and facilitation.
• Coursework / experience in science, nature studies, or outdoor education.
• Current certification in American Red Cross First Aid and CPR required; additional lifeguard certification preferred (must be obtained by June 01, 2014).
• Valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
• Ability to hike up to 4 miles a day in all weather conditions.
• Responsible, self-motivated, enthusiastic, and punctual.
• Provide leadership and guidance to campers with special attention to:
o personal hygiene and safety
o behavior toward themselves and others
o camper participation in camp activities
• Develop and teach two, 1.5 hour classes per week around the theme of conservation, nature, wildlife and the outdoors.
• Plan and lead daily activities such as hikes, classes, crafts, meals, and other programs as required.
• Reports to Camp Director(s), Senior Residential Outdoor Educators, and FONZ Staff.
• Communicate daily with the Camp Director and Senior Residential Outdoor Educators.
• Assist with camp evaluation.
• Live on-site during 6 week camp session.
• Assume accountability for the health and welfare of campers entrusted to his/her charge.
• Understand, follow, interpret, and enforce all camp rules, policies and procedures.
• Serve as a good example to campers in personal language, appearance, and health habits.
Term of Employment:
Friday, June 27- Sunday, August 10, 2014
Competitive stipend includes housing and meals.
Location and Lodging:
All camp staff lives at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Front Royal, Virginia.
To apply, visit us at www.fonzjobs.com and upload your cover letter, resume and references.
As an equal opportunity employer, FONZ values workplace diversity.