Organization: Woodland Park Zoo
Location: Seattle, WA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
DEPARTMENT: External Relations/Public Affairs
REPORTS TO: Manager, Digital Communications
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
PAY RATE: Compensation based on experience
Accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, award-winning Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle is famed for pioneering naturalistic exhibits and setting a standard for zoos all over the world. The zoo is helping to save endangered species in Washington State and around the world. By inspiring visitors and others to learn, care and act, Woodland Park Zoo is making a difference in our planet’s future.
This is your opportunity to join the dynamic External Relations team at Woodland Park Zoo. Applications are now being accepted for Web Coordinator in the Public Relations department. There is one full-time, regularly benefited position to be filled at this time.
Woodland Park Zoo’s Web Coordinator is responsible for design, maintenance and programming of Woodland Park Zoo’s websites, e-newsletters and a growing portfolio of digital projects. The Web Coordinator performs technical and creative functions to manage user-friendly, visually appealing and informative web projects that advance the zoo’s mission. The position reports to the Digital Communications Manager in the External Relations department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Program and maintain webpages across multiple Woodland Park Zoo web projects
- Develop, program and deploy e-newsletters on a calendared basis; maintain subscriber lists routinely
- Program and maintain new websites or web applications to expand zoo’s digital suite
- Develop online content in consultation with other departments to create, update or improve web pages, including copywriting and graphic design in adherence to the zoo’s brand and style guides
- Work across departments and disciplines to identify web needs from other zoo personnel and find solutions that conform to standards, schedule, budget and best practices
- Optimize web content for maximum visibility and ranking in major search engines
- Create and implement control system for naming conventions, linking conventions, and file storage conventions
- Find, diagnose and fix website problems including broken links, typographical errors and inconsistencies
- Troubleshoot internal and external customer service needs associated with web applications or webpages
- Interface with IT, host companies and service providers for performance issues
- Identify and maintain third party web services including domain registration
- Prepare web analytics reports and user interface testing to assess progress towards goals and make strategic suggestions for improvement
- Remain current on job-specific knowledge (e.g. scripting, hardware, software, security issues, authoring tools, graphic design tools, new languages, etc.) and industry trends
- Advise on growth of zoo’s digital projects, including a focus on responsive design and mobile, multi-platform readiness for web projects
- Perform other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Experience in website management including website design and content management
- Experience with digital graphic design including knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with HTML email
- Experience using Google Analytics
- Experience with SEO
- Desire and ability to quickly learn and be effective with new technologies
- Strong multi-tasking and time management skills; ability to prioritize multiple assignments under tight deadlines
- Attention to detail and ability to work with diversified teams toward common goals in a fast paced environment
- Strong understanding of communications, marketing, and customer service principles
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Problem-solving capabilities, creativity and innovative thinking
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution's Core Values
Bachelor's degree (B. A. or B.S.) in computer science, communications, design or related fields or equivalent from an accredited four-year college or university; and two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter, resume and portfolio of website samples are REQUIRED when applying for this position. For work samples, please upload pdf files in Step Four (Profile Attachments) of the application process, or provide links to websites. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 3, 2014
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.