Organization: San Antonio Zoo
Location: San Antonio, TX, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Nature of Work:
Mammals North Department Zoo Keepers perform a variety of tasks related to the handling and care of animals and their environments. The work requires an amount of independent action with less immediate supervision given after experience is acquired.
• Establish and maintain positive, cooperative, and effective working relations with fellow employees.
• Constantly exhibit a guest service attitude, a smile, and an obvious interest in guest comfort and service.
• Communicate with the public in a courteous and tactful manner and assist guests with questions and directions to various areas of the Zoo. Address the guest - do not wait to be asked.
• Remove trash and debris from public areas; i.e. pick up litter whenever you see it.
• Observe, evaluate, and report animal behavior and condition to a supervisor on a daily basis.
• Perform routine and special duties involved in the daily care and maintenance of animals in captivity.
• Exchange information with supervisory staff and coworkers on a regular basis.
• Clean and maintain animal enclosures, service areas, and holding facilities using rake shovel, wheelbarrows and other tools daily and as required.
• Maintain and repair personal equipment as needed and keeping such items in proper working order.
• Assist in treating zoo animals in accordance with instructions of a supervisor or Zoo Veterinarian.
• Provide assistance with animal transfers and/or procedures.
• Provide assistance in construction and maintenance of animal enclosures and facility renovation.
• Successfully secure animals, their enclosures, and other associated structures
• Provide information and assistance to the public.
• Drive motor vehicles or operate mechanical equipment as required.
• Any and all other duties as assigned.
• Ability to work safely around delicate, wild, and dangerous animals.
• Ability to withstand heavy outdoor labor in extreme temperatures typical of South Texas.
• Sufficient delicacy to handle, examine, and move without harming sick, injured, or struggling small (often neonatal) animals.
• Sufficient strength, agility, and coordination to net, capture, and/or restrain animals of extreme size, strength, and agility.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Able to communicate in English.
• Able to safely operate light motor vehicles.
• Ability to work weekends, holidays and occasional after-hour assignments.
• Valid driver's license.
• Have basic computer knowledge and skills.
• Associate degree in wildlife management, zoology, biology, or related field preferred.
• One-year zoo keeping experience.
• Elephant experience in protected contact management preferred.
Please go to www.sazoo.org/jobs to apply for this position. Starting pay is $10/hour.