Organization: Georgia Aquarium Inc.
Location: Atlanta, GA, Country
Job or Internship: Job
The Georgia Aquarium is seeking a highly motivated, innovative, team oriented person to be part of the Mammal and Birds Team in the position of Animal Care & Training Specialist II. This position works within the team responsible for the daily care of the Aquarium’s collection of beluga whales, harbor seals, sea otters, Asian otters and African penguins. This position will have a strong focus working with the sea otter collection and will provide support to other areas of the Mammals & Birds team and to the Zoological Operations Department as needed. Qualified candidates will possess the following:
• Minimum four year degree in biology or related field, or equivalent experience.
• Minimum of two years full-time, work experience, preferably in an AZA and/or AMMPA accredited institution, or equivalent, working with penguins.
• Proficiency in all areas of penguin husbandry, care and handling.
• Solid understanding of penguin behavior and physiology.
• SCUBA Certification and the ability to pass a dive physical examination and swim test.
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Knowledge of contemporary marine animal training and environmental enrichment techniques.
• Basic knowledge of life support operation and water quality control for maintaining marine mammals and aquatic birds in closed systems.
• Strong team skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Proficiency with computers and current software applications.
• Ability to carry 50lbs.
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to obtain a Georgia State drivers license.
• Posses a valid passport or the ability to obtain one.
Duties include diet preparation and feeding, exhibit maintenance, animal training, environmental enrichment, behavior observation, data base records entry, animal handling for medical care, and quality guest experience / visitor interactions.
Applications are accepted on-line at www.georggiaaquarium.org.
The Georgia Aquarium is both an EOE and a Drug Free Environment.