Organization: Houston Zoo, Inc.
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Job or Internship: Internship
The Houston Zoo is offering an opportunity to participate in an unpaid internship in the Carnivores Department! This is a unique and exciting opportunity for students to work alongside keepers, develop important professional relationships and gain valuable experience!
Successful candidates will participate in many aspects of husbandry including:
• diet preparation
• cleaning of animal exhibits and holding areas
• exhibit maintenance
• observing and recording animal condition, behaviors, and responses
• positive and educational interaction with zoo guests
• assist with vet care and treatments
• animal enrichment
• Interns are required to complete a minimum of 200 hour commitment.
• Attend Continuing Education courses provided by the Houston Zoo.
• Compose an educational presentation at the end of internship.
• Candidates must currently be enrolled in a college institution or a recent graduate (within 6 months of application).
• Qualified Interns for this position should have at least one year of previous experience in volunteering or working in an animal related field and pursuing a degree that is animal related.
• Intern will work from 7:30am-2:30pm, three days a week to fulfill 200 hour commitment (with quizzes throughout internship).
• This position requires interns to work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust.
• This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 80 pounds).
• We are currently accepting applications until December 5, 2013. Internships will begin in January until mid May.
• To submit an application, please visit our website at www.houstonzoo.org/volunteering/. Applicant must also submit a resume, cover letter and letter of recommendation.
For further information and inquiries, please contact Nhi Tran at 713-533-6558 or via email at email@example.com.