Organization: Brevard Zoo
Location: Melbourne, Florida, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Brevard Zoo is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Area Manager in the Austral/Asia section. This is a working position assisting the Zoological Manager in the daily care of animals, maintenance of exhibits and enclosures as well as guiding area keepers. An interactive aviary with lorikeets, cockatiels, and various species of birds and mammals is central to other parts of the area which include cassowary, emu, kangaroo, Visayan warty pigs, and dingo. An emphasis on husbandry, handling, and a strong training background with avian species is required.
• Four year college degree preferred in related field or substituted with coursework in animal related field and hands on animal experience.
• Four years experience in the care of animals and time spent managing staff.
• Experience working with ratites, parrots and other bird species.
• Must be able to work as an integral part of the zoo team and communicate effectively with co-workers, management, guests and employees.
• Strong work ethic and dedication.
• Must demonstrate the ability to be an effective leader and role model.
• Ability to lift 50 lbs.
• Must be able to speak intelligently and diplomatically with the public.
• Must be able to initiate and write accurate reports and manage assigned projects. Must be able to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
• Excellent interpersonal skills are required.
• Ability to work in inclement weather.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule including; holidays, weekends, evenings and during emergency situations.
• Ability to qualify for the chemical immobilization and/or weapon’s team.
• Possession of a valid State of Florida driver’s license.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Tracy Sorensen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only qualified applicants will be contacted, thank you for understanding. Brevard Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer