Organization: Audubon Aquarium of the Americas
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Audubon Aquarium of the Americas is looking for a motivated individual to add to its Husbandry Staff.
The Aquarist II is responsible for all aspects of animal health and exhibit care in assigned areas, as well as additional exhibits as husbandry coverage demands.
• Prepare and administer daily animal feeds.
• Keep adequate records with regards to feeding, health, and animal behavior.
• Maintain gallery and exhibit aesthetics as designated by supervisor.
• Coordinate with supervisors and veterinary staff to manage and treat collection as required.
• Participate in veterinary procedures including necropsies; and accept the use of euthanasia when necessary.
• Oversee volunteers and interns working within assigned areas.
• Interact with large and small groups for educational presentations.
• Participate in formal and informal guest education, including behind the scenes tours.
• A basic knowledge of aquatic animal behavior and care.
• An understanding of basic husbandry principles, including record keeping, life-support systems, water quality parameters, disease recognition, nutrition and exhibit maintenance.
• Ability to trouble-shoot life support related problems.
• Animal collection and quarantine experience.
• Ability to respond to quickly changing priorities.
• Ability to plan, organize, and implement projects independently.
• Working knowledge of current husbandry practices.
• Strength and endurance to perform physical demands of job function.
• Ability to climb ladders and accomplish tasks at height.
• Two- years of relevant animal experience at an AZA accredited or similar institution preferred.
• SCUBA certification or ability to obtain certification preferred.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license
Please apply online at the following website - http://www.auduboninstitute.org/careers/application