Organization: The Monterey Bay Aquarium
Location: Monterey, CA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Director of Volunteer Engagement
The nonprofit Monterey Bay Aquarium has a single mission: to inspire conservation of the ocean. Through world-class living exhibits, education programs, wildlife research and by advocating for ocean policy reform, we work to help people know more, care more and do more on behalf of the oceans. Everyone who works at the aquarium, no matter what their job, has a critical role to play in helping us achieve a vision of a world in which the oceans are healthy, and people are committed to protecting the integrity of Earth’s life-sustaining natural systems. If you can bring your passion and talents to an organization with this vision, we invite you to apply for a position that best suits your skills.
The Director, under the overarching direction of the Vice President of the Human Resources Division is responsible for the strategic vision and operations of all volunteer related activities, ensuring that plans are implemented in consideration of the Aquarium's overall strategic goals and priorities. Additionally, in partnership with the Director of Human Resources, this position is responsible for supporting overall Human Resources division objectives. As a key member of our management team, the Director leads the Volunteer Resources Department in establishing a volunteer engagement vision and plan, including effective collaboration with all divisions to utilize volunteer engagement as a strategy. The Director is also the face of volunteerism within the community, cultivating high level relationships with community leaders and other environmental-like organizations to create partnerships that facilitate ongoing recruitment and retention efforts
• Establish a vision for volunteer engagement at the Aquarium that supports the Aquarium's strategic goals while also positioning the Aquarium as a volunteer engagement leader that responds to emerging trends in volunteer engagement
• Serve as the external and internal "face" of volunteer engagement and the lead advocate for volunteer engagement as a key business strategy
• Lead the collaboration with all divisions to utilize volunteer engagement as a strategy.
• Demonstrates knowledge of traditional volunteer management methodology and best practices in innovative volunteer engagement and capacity building
• Demonstrates ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing. Facilitates and fosters open exchange, leveraging technology wherever appropriate
• Experience using collaborative team models to build support for engagement initiatives; knowledgeable about community resources, including volunteer and conservation agencies
• At least 10 years progressively responsible, directly relevant work experience
• 5 years' experience, minimum, supervising staff and/or volunteers
• demonstrated abilities as a project manager, team builder, and leader in a fast-paced work environment
• Demonstrated success defining and engaging diverse audiences
• Knowledge of volunteerism sector and the conservation, Aquarium, or education community
• Experience in human resources management field
• Strong ability to use technology as a communication, project management, database, and convening tool
• B.A. degree; advanced degree ideal
• Baccalaureate degree, with a major in the behavioral sciences, nonprofit administration, museum studies, volunteer administration, human resources or other relevant field
Apply online at https://montereybayaquarium.snaphire.com/index
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is committed to diversity and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.