Organization: Potter Park Zoo
Location: Lansing, MI, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Potter Park Zoo is accepting applications for a full time high school zoo science instructor. This career and technical education position teaches the Michigan Agriscience curriculum “Animal Science and Veterinary Health” to high school juniors and seniors enrolled through the Eaton RESA Career Preparation Center.
- Students are transported to Potter Park Zoo for class.
- There are two class sessions of twenty students that meet for two hours each, Monday-Friday for the entire school year.
- Instructors will instruct students in the skills and knowledge required in animal related occupations using a variety of teaching methods including discussions, demonstration, on-line instructional applications, audiovisual, laboratory, shop, field studies, hands-on and other appropriate teaching tools.
- Prepare objectives and outlines for courses of study following curriculum guidelines/state requirements.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use and care of equipment and materials in order to prevent injury to students and/or damage to equipment.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order and a safe classroom environment.
- Prepare materials for classroom for class activities.
- Assign and grade class work and homework.
- Use technology and other materials to supplement curriculum/lessons.
- Maintain instructional/classroom records as requested/required.
- Maintain regular consistent attendance and punctuality.
- Attend PPZ education department meetings
- Attend ERESA staff meetings
- Participate in ERESA visitation days for future students
- Coordinate two committee meetings each school year
- Prior classroom experience
- 4000 hours of recent (within 6 years) and relevant work experience in the fields of vet science, animal science, anatomy and physiology, and animal related career opportunities
- Vocational/Occupational Certification in Agriscience
- Knowledge of or experience with exhibit design, conservation, animal handling, and zoo education to integrate throughout course material
- Send letter of interest, resume, unofficial transcripts and letter of recommendation to:
Attn: Dennis Laidler, Education Curator
Potter Park Zoo
1301 S. Pennsylvania Ave
Lansing, MI 48912