Organization: Georgia Aquarium Inc.
Location: Atlanta, GA, Country
Job or Internship: Job
The Zoological Operations Department at Georgia Aquarium is seeking a highly motivated, charismatic, innovative, team oriented person to be part of the Mammal and Birds Team in the position of Senior Animal Care & Training Specialist. This position plays a leadership / mentoring role within the team responsible for the daily care and training of the Aquarium’s collection of beluga whales, harbor seals, sea otters, Asian otters, and African penguins. This position will provide support to other areas of the Zoological Operations Department as needed.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
• Preferred, four year degree in biology or related field.
• Minimum five years of aquatic animal husbandry, training, and management, experience in an AZA accredited institution, or equivalent, with a proven track record of team oriented and professional performance.
• Experienced in contemporary marine animal training and environmental enrichment techniques.
• Interactive and/or public program experience.
• Experience with beluga whales and/or other cetacean species strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of life support operation and water quality control for maintaining marine mammals and aquatic birds in closed systems.
• Outstanding communication, interpersonal, customer service and public speaking skills.
• Certified SCUBA Diver and the ability to pass a Diving Medical Evaluation and Dive Program Swim Test
• Valid passport or the ability to obtain one.
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Ability to carry 50lbs.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products.
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to obtain a Georgia State driver’s license.
• Maintenance of daily health and care of the mammal & bird collection.
• Application of animal training to mammal and bird collection. Develops behavior to facilitate animal management, visual and medical exams, diagnostic sampling, public programs, and other pertinent program goals. Mentors junior staff in animal training techniques and skill set development.
• Facilitation of mammal and bird environmental enrichment program. Develops and fosters development of novel environmental enrichment devices and activities. Mentors junior staff on enrichment program.
• Assistance with management of volunteer and intern programs for the Mammals & Birds section of Zoological Operations.
• Execution of procedures for animal care, food preparation, and clean up, including proper maintenance and sterilization of equipment.
• Facilitation of staff training of Mammal & Bird personnel. Mentors junior team members to ensure they are properly trained and equipped for their assigned tasks, and conducts or arranges for training as necessary to carry out the section’s objectives.
• Assistance of management and maintenance of records management systems for animal inventory, care, training, and enrichment.
• Assistance of management and maintenance of animal and exhibit electronic files.
• Facilitation and participation in public interactive programming.
• Execution of underwater maintenance and cleaning of habitats.
• Fosters good relations with visitors, volunteers, community leaders, contractors, and fellow staff members by promoting positive attitudes, good will, cooperation, and providing high standards of service.
• As needed, interacts on behalf of the Georgia Aquarium with guests, media, general public, etc.
• All other duties as assigned.
Applications are accepted on-line at www.georgiaaquarium.org. The Georgia Aquarium is both an EOE and a Drug Free Environment.