Organization: Museum of Science
Location: Boston, MA, United States
Job or Internship: Job
Museum of Science, Boston
Innovation and creativity come from the unique perspectives of a diverse staff. We value your perspective.
A motivated, self-starter able to handle multiple tasks at once, the Publicist will play a key role in helping to promote the Museum through traditional media and social media platforms. The Publicist will develop and maintain relationships with calendar contacts at major daily newspapers in an effort to secure placement of Museum information, as well as with local, regional, and national press to secure favorable media coverage. The Publicist should be experienced using multiple social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest), and will assist with the creation of engaging content across all of the Museum's social media accounts.
• Approximate number of press releases written a year: 20-30
• Approximate number of media alerts written a year: 15--20
• Approximate number of large-scale press events a year (planned/executed, dependent upon upcoming offerings): 2--4
• Approximate number of small-scale press events a year (planned/executed, dependent upon upcoming offerings): 3--5
• Approximate number of film/photo shoots (depending on media requests): 15--20
• Approximate number of one-time events: 5-6
• 59,000+ Museum of Science Facebook audience
• 17,500+ Museum of Science Twitter audience
• Media contact list of approximately 1,000 reporters
• 5 -- 10 press inquiries per day
• Help draft and distribute about 20 press releases annually and 50 media pitches annually
• Update social media editorial calendar: 3 Facebook posts daily/3 Tweets daily
This position is full-time, 40 hours/week, Monday-Friday.
Manager, Media Relations & Social Media
• Bachelors of Science or Arts degree preferred.
• More than one year of public relations experience.
Non-Exempt (Hourly). Commensurate with experience.
Benefits for full-time, non-exempt (hourly) staff include: free parking, T accessibility, 15 vacation days, 12 holidays, 5-10 sick days, medical, dental, and vision insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, retirement and savings plan, health care/dependent care flex spending plan, employee discounts, employee referral program, tuition assistance, professional development, direct deposit, free admission, free Duck Tours, discounted movie passes, and much more!
TO APPLY FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY IN OUR DIVERSE AND DYNAMIC WORK ENVIRONMENT, SUBMIT YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Human Resources Department
Museum of Science
Boston, MA 02114
Fax: (617) 589-0362
Visit www.mos.org/jobs for our most up-to-date employment listings. No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application. The Museum of Science is an Equal Opportunity Employer.