Organization: Zoo Atlanta
Location: Atlanta, GA, Country
Job or Internship: Job
Job Title: Keeper I or II (Mammals) Date: July 2013
Department: Mammals Reports to: Lead Keeper, Assistant
Curator, and Curator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Job Grade:
Job Purpose: Reporting to the department’s Lead Keeper, Assistant Curator, and Curator, this position is responsible for animal husbandry and maintenance of exhibit and holding areas of the Mammal Department. The person in this position will primarily care for animals in the Zoo’s Outback Station collection, including goats, sheep, pigs, kangaroos, naked mole rats, bush dogs, and raccoon dogs. This position is also responsible for monitoring the contact yard, which involves a significant amount of guest interaction.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Specific responsibilities include participating in daily husbandry, exhibit maintenance and visitor interaction programs, and observing and reporting animal behavior and health to supervisors and veterinary staff.
• Candidate is expected to maintain the highest level of safety in the work area through implementation of safety protocols and procedures
• Maintain a high performance level of general keeper duties including: excellent animal care, visitor interactions involving scheduled on-ground talks to guests and contact yard monitoring, research facilitation, active participation in animal training programs via operant conditioning.
• Monitor health and behavior of animal collection and communicate changes to supervisors and vet staff. Oversee administration of medications as applicable.
• Must provide daily enrichment and maintain accurate computer based records
• Coordinate and supervise activities of interns and volunteers as required.
• This position also requires working effectively as a member of a team in all animal areas.
• Must cross train in at least one other mammal area.
• Must be willing to work flexible hours.
• Understand and support Zoo Atlanta’s Strategic and Master Plans and departmental Collection Plan.
• Must be willing to support Zoo Atlanta’s Vision, Mission and Values statement
• Any other miscellaneous projects/assignment assigned by Zoo Atlanta’s Mammal management team
• Salary and title dependent upon prior animal care experience.
• Experience working with a variety of mammals, particularly the species in Zoo Atlanta’s collection.
• Experience with operant conditioning and enrichment techniques.
Special skills and abilities:
• Good written and oral communication skills and ability to educate and interact positively with zoo visitors.
• Able to function as a team member and get along well with co-workers.
• Zoo Atlanta is open to the public 363 days out of the year, therefore, all positions at Zoo Atlanta may require employees to work some weekends, holidays and evenings.
• Must have a positive attitude supporting department goals and those of Zoo Atlanta.
• Four year degree in biology, psychology, or related field (sufficient relevant experience will be considered in partial fulfillment of education requirement).
• To be considered for a Keeper I level position, the candidate must have at least one year of prior animal care experience or internship at a zoological facility.
• To be considered for a Keeper II level position, the candidate must have at least three years of prior animal care experience at a zoological facility.
• Must obtain and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license
• Physical ability to perform strenuous work and lift at least 50 pounds repetitively.
The work environment characteristics here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Therefore, the employee may be required to perform other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management. The company reserves the right to revise or change job duties as business requirements dictate. It is mutually agreed that this job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
To apply for this position, please visit our website: zooatlanta.org/About/Careers